Replaced pins door still sags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rugby_7

Reaction score
I have a 1995 gmc yukon and I replaced the door pins on both the drivers side and passengers side. The drivers side sagged and had some slop but replacing the pins fixed it and is now perfect. The passenger side was a different story. It was sagging but felt tight, I replaced the pins just to see if it would help. Replacing the pins and bushings didn't fix the problem, door is still low on the striker and hard to shut. Is there a way to adjust the hinges or something else to fix the problem?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No but I have taken a floor jack and a 2x4 and jacked up the door with it open to bend it back into place. It works good, You do have to jack it kinda high but just don't go to far.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Lmc sells new hinges, i dont have any experience with them yet.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have used a 3/8" extension latched into the factory latch and a crow bar on the striker to tweak the door back where I want it.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have used a 3/8" extension latched into the factory latch and a crow bar on the striker to tweak the door back where I want it.

That's a damn good idea. My brother-in-law's truck door still sags with new pins...

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I used the jack method on my truck. My doors wouldn even close when i put them on my 3/4 ton. 4X4 block and a floor jack on the flat part under the door (not the thin part you can see, you will bend that) I had to jack mine up til the front tire was off the ground and leave it for a while, mine was over an inch low tho.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd go for the block of wood and jack method, too; just be sure you get it under the shell of the door and not on the edge as you will absolutely bend the edge and hate life immediately afterwards.

There's actually a tool that lets you hook onto the striker but I don't recommend it, or a makeshift tool here. The sheetmetal where the striker attaches is pretty thin and easy to bend, and you can even crack it. Again with the hating life.

Whichever method you choose, follow the earlier advice about not going too far. You can also crack the sheetmetal on the door shell near the hinge and ruin the door. I've seen it happen. Wait for it...guy was hating life.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If you do the jack method, do it with the door barely open. If you open it all the way up and bend it, when you close the door, you will realize you are not going the right direction.

rugby_7

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to give the jack method a try. Where do you suggest I put the jack? Near the hinge side, striker side, or in the middle?
Thanks again!