Replaced key tumbler on my ‘97, now won’t run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's what is great about this forum there's always someone with a great insight.

Or at least someone who's sleep deprived and thinking weird thoughts... :lol: Doesn't help that I've had trucks on the brain all day today worrying about dumping money into my Suburban's AC.

I'm still not 100% convinced that this is Aholter90's problem, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or at least someone who's sleep deprived and thinking weird thoughts... :lol: Doesn't help that I've had trucks on the brain all day today worrying about dumping money into my Suburban's AC.

I'm still not 100% convinced that this is Aholter90's problem, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.
Yeah-damn AC gave me a few sleepleas nights too lol

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sometimes that's when I do my best thinking, lol.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info guys. It is a late ‘97, so it does appear to be PASSLOCKED. After messing it with it for a half hour, I do see that the security light flashes for a few seconds, then shuts off. The security light does not stay on for any portion of the 10 minute relearn. I have so far done the procedure 3 times to no avail.
Out of curiosity.. what is the 10th digit in your VIN? V, or W?

If yours is indeed a '97 (10th digit V) it would be the first '97 I've heard of with Passlock. Not saying it's impossible or untrue, just saying it's a first for me.

And yes, as you have found, with a Passlock-equipped truck you absolutely need the tumbler meant for one, which most regard as '98-up. It has the resistor in it that the Passlock system uses to determine that the truck was started with the key. Think of the old VATS system where you used to see the "chip" (resistor) in the key on the old Corvettes/Camaros etc., in Passlock they moved it to the tumbler.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Out of curiosity.. what is the 10th digit in your VIN? V, or W?

If yours is indeed a '97 (10th digit V) it would be the first '97 I've heard of with Passlock. Not saying it's impossible or untrue, just saying it's a first for me.

In addition to the 10th digit of the VIN, I'd be curious to see the actual production date. If this is a '97, I bet it's a super late one. Unfortunately that question might require a $5 CompNine lookup to answer.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
In addition to the 10th digit of the VIN, I'd be curious to see the actual production date. If this is a '97, I bet it's a super late one. Unfortunately that question might require a $5 CompNine lookup to answer.
Yep, I asked on the VIN because that is the true definition of year model. Some states get weird with titles and if there was ever a title issue with it in the past.. who knows. I'll say it's definitely possible a 1997 got Passlock, anything is possible, and the facts that he's got a functional "security" light in the cluster and a 1998 tumbler got his truck starting and running again, pretty much say it all.

Manufacture date should also be on the driver door edge sticker (the tire info placard), at least down to the month/year, not the actual day of that month that you'd see on the build sheet.

Richard

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe a GM dealer could put the last 8 digits of the VIN in the parts catalog and get the day/month/year build date. I know we could when I worked in a Chevrolet parts dept.