Replaced key tumbler on my ‘97, now won’t run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aholter90

Reaction score
In addition to the miss I’m trying to diagnose on my ‘97 K2509, I’ve now run into another issue, The old ignition tumbler would no longer turn.

No biggie, followed the steps to replace the ignition tumbler, and the new one turned like it’s supposed to.

Problem is, it won’t start the truck. ‍♂️ The motor cranks and fires once, but then dies immediately. Is there a security relearn procedure for ‘97s? No codes or warning lights on the dash.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure when Passlock came out, but here’s the relearn procedure for a 98.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The description of your issue does sound like a PassLock problem but... To the best of my knowledge a '97 should not have any kind of PassLock/Security. Neither of my '97s do. I believe PassLock started in '98.

Aholter90

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info guys. It is a late ‘97, so it does appear to be PASSLOCKED. After messing it with it for a half hour, I do see that the security light flashes for a few seconds, then shuts off. The security light does not stay on for any portion of the 10 minute relearn. I have so far done the procedure 3 times to no avail.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just spitballing here, but I wonder if you actually need a tumbler for a '98?

In the 10+ years I've been a member here, you're only the second or third person I've seen ask about a '97 having PassLock. If some late '97s did get it, (and the presence of a "Security" light in your cluster seems to indicate that they did, as long as you're 100% sure your truck is a '97...) I'd have to say they're extremely rare. Maybe they shared some parts with the '98 PassLock equipped trucks instead of the typical '97 stuff?

Aholter90

Reaction score

In the 10+ years I've been a member here, you're only the second or third person I've seen ask about a '97 having PassLock. If some late '97s did get it, (and the presence of a "Security" light in your cluster seems to indicate that they did, as long as you're 100% sure your truck is a '97...) I'd have to say they're extremely rare. Maybe they shared some parts with the '98 PassLock equipped trucks instead of the typical '97 stuff?
Hmmmm, possibly? What’s the part number for a ‘98 tumbler?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you catch that last step - turn key off and then try to start it (versus going straight from “on” to start)?

Mine did something like this after an ignition replacement, I want to say that going to off and trying to start it after a few minutes worked for me.

Aggravating, regardless.

Rockauto shows different part numbers for 97 and 98.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmmm, possibly? What’s the part number for a ‘98 tumbler?

Here's the diagram that Wholesale GM Parts Online has for a '98 K1500.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....odel=14516&modelYear=1998&ukey_category=19397

Keep in mind the parts sharing thing is just a random idea... I would do some research to try to confirm this (or anything else) before you spend any more money firing the parts cannon. Sounds like your issue might be something simple like what east302 just suggested.

If all else fails, you could find someone with JET DST or equivalent tuning software to disable the PassLock system entirely.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't even think about that. I bet that's the problem. That's what is great about this forum there's always someone with a great insight.