Reg cab short bed diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a project in mind that i'm starting to save up money for and wanted to know if anyones done it and get some help on a list of items needed. I'm planning to find a Reg cab short bed, with a V6 and a 5spd, with or without the motor and tranny(don't need anyways), and find a donor truck with a mechanical injection(92/93) 6.5 in it. i know i'm going to need the truck, engine, and trans and all of the fuel system obviously, some of the other things i'm wondering about is, the driveshaft and rear end. Will they hold up to the torque of a 6.5? maybe build the rear end a little? or would i be better off getting a Semi-float or full- float and getting the lug pattern redrilled to 5 lug? how would i have to go about the speedometer? any other advice will be appreciated. I know alot of people will say don't use the 6.5, its crap or stuff like that. But i want it for the ease of swap, mpg, and the fact that i've never heard of anyone doing this setup much less seen it. Something unique i guess. thanks for any advice!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
There's a reason Noone has done it a 12v swap probably wouldn't be any tougher and would ba MUCH better the rear end will be fine with the 6.5 because it doesn't make much if any more power than a stock 350. Of course a sf would be better and you might be able to find one That's already a 5 lug out of a 454 ss

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the thing with a 12v is ALOT heavier, and requires new motor mount. since the 6.5 came stock in these trucks it'll be easier. Plus it costs rediculously to get a 12v motor around here. like 2K is where they start if they run. i can pick up a donor 6.5 truck for around $1200

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I was doing a diesel swap the 6.5 would be one of my last choices. If it were my truck I was doing I'd go either a 12 valve or a duramax. The dmax being the more involved swap.

I believe that there are motor mounts that are already made and ready to go for the cummins swap.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If I was doing a diesel swap the 6.5 would be one of my last choices. If it were my truck I was doing I'd go either a 12 valve or a duramax. The dmax being the more involved swap.

I believe that there are motor mounts that are already made and ready to go for the cummins swap.
MUCH more involved lol

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a bit. Hahaha. There is a thread I saw somewhere a while ago (not on here) that a guy swapped a duramax into a Gmt800 and I seem to remember him saying that if he had to do it over he wouldn't have picked a duramax.

I know there is a company (duraburb I think) that swaps duramaxs into suburbans

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Just a bit. Hahaha. There is a thread I saw somewhere a while ago (not on here) that a guy swapped a duramax into a Gmt800 and I seem to remember him saying that if he had to do it over he wouldn't have picked a duramax.

I know there is a company (duraburb I think) that swaps duramaxs into suburbans
and dmax's came in GMT800's so I'm gone putting one in a 400 there's a guy here in Iowa that has one in a gmt400

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I'm going to do a duramax swap Once a find a wrecked 06 4x4 for a decent price. It ain't that bad, just a little worse then a ls. I helped swap one into my buddies 90 something f250. It's now on the road to being number one in the country for pulling. Its named dirty little secret lol, he has 100% sponsorship from like fleece or something. But mine ain't gonna be that mean because I could buy my house for less then what's in it. The hardest part is all the wiring, it's not that bad just takes fooorrreevvveeerrrrrrrr and make sure you label every wire you cut and everything you take apart. That woulda made life easy... Retrospect kicks my ass alot

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm going to do a duramax swap Once a find a wrecked 06 4x4 for a decent price. It ain't that bad, just a little worse then a ls. I helped swap one into my buddies 90 something f250. It's now on the road to being number one in the country for pulling. Its named dirty little secret lol, he has 100% sponsorship from like fleece or something. But mine ain't gonna be that mean because I could buy my house for less then what's in it. The hardest part is all the wiring, it's not that bad just takes fooorrreevvveeerrrrrrrr and make sure you label every wire you cut and everything you take apart. That woulda made life easy... Retrospect kicks my ass alot
pics??