Redneck Pinstriping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
My truck is a truck and is used like one.

It hauls stuff from the hardware store, often maxes out it gvwr, and tows a 9,000 lb trailer all over the continent.

But it's trail use is limited and scratches are few. You're be hard pressed to find any dirt deeper than 1/8 inch on the underside at any one time. But then again; I understand that mud and dirt sitting in and on steel means rust and PDQ at that. Air gun gets lots of use in and on my frame and body.

There's more than one way to "use a truck like a truck"......just because it's shiny and is never frame rail deep in mud doesn't't mean it's not used to it's potential.

;)

Not exactly what I meant about the frame, I try to keep mine cleaner than most, but if it's a lifted truck on 35's and the factory paper stickers are still on the frame and there isn't a speck of dirt on the tires it hasn't been dirty... Mainly speaking of the factory lifted trucks... Why buy if your not going to wheel in it...???

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Not exactly what I meant about the frame, I try to keep mine cleaner than most, but if it's a lifted truck on 35's and the factory paper stickers are still on the frame and there isn't a speck of dirt on the tires it hasn't been dirty... Mainly speaking of the factory lifted trucks... Why buy if your not going to wheel in it...???

Because, as much as I disagree with it on a lifted truck, they might be using it to tow.

Don't get me wrong; I really don't like seeing some 16 year old with a 2013 Chevy 2500hd jacked up on 38's and belching smoke on Main Street and you know it's either daddy's or daddy paid for it. Can't stand that. I also don't particularly like 4x4 pavement warriors that wouldn't know what to do if they got on as much as wet grass. By the same token, I'd say they were totally insane to take a new $60,000 truck and sink it in muck or beat it up on a trail ride. That's what crawlers and cheaper rigs are for.

But like I mentioned; you don't have to sink it in the muck to use it like a truck. I fact, one could argue that is not using a truck like a truck. Trucks were originally created for hauling, towing and working. Not playing in puddles.

:rofl:

Last edited:

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
But playing in puddles is fun ;)

I don't stick mine in the deep sheet though, if I break it.... No DD to get back and forth to work...

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
My truck is a truck and is used like one.

It hauls stuff from the hardware store, often maxes out it gvwr, and tows a 9,000 lb trailer all over the continent.

But it's trail use is limited and scratches are few. You're be hard pressed to find any dirt deeper than 1/8 inch on the underside at any one time. But then again; I understand that mud and dirt sitting in and on steel means rust and PDQ at that. Air gun gets lots of use in and on my frame and body.

There's more than one way to "use a truck like a truck"......just because it's shiny and is never frame rail deep in mud doesn't't mean it's not used to it's potential.

;)

Agreed. Up until we got a company truck I used mine for everything from hauling loads of scrap to trailers of dirt, sand, tanks (liquid storage), and anything else that would fit in the bed or on the 18ft trailer. Now that we've got the Dmax, I removed my hitch and haven't hauled anything more than @$$. Which is exactly what it is built for

But she has her battle scars. Belonged to a friend before me who used it for hog hunting. Damn West Texas Pinstripes all down both sides, but can't tell from more than 10 feet away, still irritates me to no end though. Wish I had the money for a respray....

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Trucks aren't meant to be beauty queens. They will get scrapes and scratches. I hate seeing the z92 and coal heritage trucks all shined up witch frames clean enough to eat off of. Those people should have bought a prius if they wanna keep em spotless. I'm not saying beat the living hell out of it and never clean it, but I simply hate mall crawlers. Trucks are meant to be trucks. Buff and wax away, I will when I get painted, but get some mud on the tires!!! Rant over...

But playing in puddles is fun ;)

I don't stick mine in the deep sheet though, if I break it.... No DD to get back and forth to work...

Id have to say I disagree 100% if people can afford a really nice lifted truck good for them they've earned it and they don't have to go out and beat it if they don't want somday ill have a nice lifted duramax once ive earned it but I probably wont wheel it ill have an older truck for that. And to the op yes my truck is covered in scratches and chips most all of um from the last few months that ive had it

You must be registered for see images attach

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Id have to say I disagree 100% if people can afford a really nice lifted truck good for them they've earned it and they don't have to go out and beat it if they don't want somday ill have a nice lifted duramax once ive earned it but I probably wont wheel it ill have an older truck for that. And to the op yes my truck is covered in scratches and chips most all of um from the last few months that ive had it

I agree if you've EARNED it, but seeing these punks around here with jacked up diesels and 4x4s (of ANY brand) that are never used for any purpose except driving, and daddy or mommy obviously payed for is kind of irritating. Same goes for cars as well. I work at NTB (sales side, kind of burnt out in the shop), and there have been several kids under 20 with brand new Camaro SSs, Caddy CTS-Vs, and even a Lambo Gallardo. And they're always there for something stupid they did and bent a rim or blew out a sidewall or something, and ma or pa pays to fix it, too.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
oh I agree I hate that too even here in small town Iowa the kids whose dads are big farmers all drive brand new cars or lifted trucks and they didn't pay for a cent of them. My parents help me with gas sometimes and my insurance but I pai for every cent of my truck and car

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what about those of us who built our own "mall crawlers" with our own hard earned $$$

:popcorn:

I agree with great white on this one. Just because it has 4wd doesn't mean it needs to be axle deep in muck to be properly "used" I use mine as a truck to haul an tow stuff. I avoid "mudding" for fun for the same reason he states. It's hard to clean it all out an it breeds rust. If a situation arose where I needed to use my truck for something like that I would though without a second (ok well I would try to find another way probably :rofl: ) thought. I would spend a week cleaning it afterword though.

I've been there an done the offroading for fun stuff when I was in college an ruined a fairly nice Toyota in the process. It rusted out from under me an I hated working on it because you took a dirt bath just to something as simple as changing the oil....

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
So what about those of us who built our own "mall crawlers" with our own hard earned $$$

:popcorn:

I agree with great white on this one. Just because it has 4wd doesn't mean it needs to be axle deep in muck to be properly "used" I use mine as a truck to haul an tow stuff. I avoid "mudding" for fun for the same reason he states. It's hard to clean it all out an it breeds rust. If a situation arose where I needed to use my truck for something like that I would though without a second (ok well I would try to find another way probably :rofl: ) thought. I would spend a week cleaning it afterword though.

I've been there an done the offroading for fun stuff when I was in college an ruined a fairly nice Toyota in the process. It rusted out from under me an I hated working on it because you took a dirt bath just to something as simple as changing the oil....

x2. I had my fun in the mud, got tired of cleaning it and having to work around the crud to fix something. If I had the money I'd get a 4x4 that's already a little rough to play with, though.