Rebuild - But not Restore, K3500 Farm Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a little progress. Just ordered from amazon the:

OTC 5605 Deluxe Compression Tester Kit with Carrying Case for Gasoline Engines​

You must be registered for see images attach

and the

OTC 5609 Cylinder Leakage Tester Kit , Black​

and the

OTC 5613 Vacuum/Pressure Gauge Kit​

So now I can check out if the engine is good or not.
Compression testers I have bought in the past have all broke on 1st use - this time I read the reviews. Hopefully I didn't buy garbage again.

For whatever it's worth, every time I've bought an OTC tool I've gotten very good service
from it. Once upon a time it was definitely a step up from the '1-time use bottom-tier tools'...
here's hoping they still are. (Nothing is guaranteed these daze.)

Let us know what you think of them after putting them to work.

Cheers --

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The neat part about this project for me is that I am starting from scratch with tools. I have tools - but in my other shed and I want to keep them there. Wife bought me a tool chest and rolling cart, my buddy is making an 8' workbench for me (trade for some black walnut logs that i didn't cut into firewood).
Ok, OK - I don't have the specialty tools like described above but I will be getting new rachets/sockets bla bla bla till I have a proper shop set up. I figure it will take 3-4 years, about the same amount of time I think it will take to to restore the truck.
It seams like it should take less time - but most of the old posts I read on here and garage journal, it takes years for a project to complete judging by the post dates.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks @Nad_Yvalhosert . bought them both. I don't think the threads are ruined, haven't checked them yet - but I will have the tool if any are.
couldn't find blue point - bought this one:

Well thank you to both of you!! I just ordered one myself... a back-tap chaser... bad ass!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@BuiltToWork
@Keeper

"The most expensive tool in your tool box is the one you use only once."

I've had that thing more than 25 years and only used it twice, to me it's priceless. The first time was on the aluminum heads on the 3.1 in my mother's '90 Lumina, many moons ago. Would've cost me a head, oil, coolant, and tons of gaskets.
Instead, 8 minutes of combined profane internal monologue and subsequent usage of said tool. Success, followed by a 6 pack of Labatt Blue made it all worthwhile!

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress: Got a free workbench. I let my buddy have a couple of Black Walnut logs. He came by with his portable saw mill and cut them up. To return the favor - he built a workbench out of scrap construction material.

OTC tools and thread chasers already laid out - ready to check the engine.
Gurage is a mess, I know.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress: Got a free workbench. I let my buddy have a couple of Black Walnut logs. He came by with his portable saw mill and cut them up. To return the favor - he built a workbench out of scrap construction material.

OTC tools and thread chasers already laid out - ready to check the engine.
Gurage is a mess, I know.

Hot damn. A friend in need is a friend indeed!
Listen uhh, you got a spare needy friend? Wife and I own about 140 acres and there's tons of dead or downed Ash trees...

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wife and I own about 140 acres and there's tons of dead or downed Ash trees...
I was cutting up and splitting the walnut for firewood when my buddy heard about it. He about lost his mind.
On the website: https://forestryforum.com/ there are guys scrounging for firewood.
Ash being good, you might find someone to take your downed trees.

And never forget about how highly valuable black walnut is:
(one of these links should work for a chuckle)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

highly valuable black walnut

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And never forget about how highly valuable black walnut is:

Interesting you mention that specie...
We have 3 farmable fields, totaling just under 19 acres. We have a 10 acre field with a shallow gulley that divides it 6 acre/4 acre. In the 4 acre "half" we planted 386 Black Walnut trees this past summer, with room for 106 more.
In the 6 acre section, we're planting red maples, sugar maples, red and white oaks.

We originally figured roughly 500 Black Walnut and 150-ish each of the other 4, will potentially gift our kids a few hundred thousand bucks 50 years from now.