Rear Bumper Re and Re

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The chrome rear bumper on my 98 C1500 2WD has some cosmetic issues, and I've found a mint-looking one from an 88-94 Tahoe. Need help with two things: 1. Is this bumper a direct bolt on replacement? and 2. The fasteners have 17 years of rust and crud on them. I'm anticipating that removing them will be a challenge. Anybody been there and done that, and have some tips to offer.

Any help will be gratefully received.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
They're the same and my tip is have a torch handy.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was gonna add, providing his pickup is a fleetside bed. But then I saw in the sig it's a longbed, so, that rules out stepside anyway. :)

Richard

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the speedy replies. I convinced the seller to remove the bumper, because it's a lot easier than taking out my floor jack, tools, etc. In this weather, I really don't want to get under a truck if I don't have to. At my end, I will use the PB blaster, and I do have an impact wrench. I'd like to get the fasteners off without destroying them,, so that I can go to the fastener shop and get new ones. And yep--I will definitely use Nevr Sieze on reassembly.