Rant: don't buy Stanley tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vortecv8~5.3l

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Stanley hand tools such as side cutters work great. Must be there ratchets. My roommate has a set and he stripped out his 1/2 inch rachet...

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Well the new 1/2" drive stanley ratchet arrived in the mail. It's the same design as the old one, it works for now, who knows for how long though.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
mostly stanley ratchets are bad. i admittedly every time i see a tool box in the trash i pick it up, i have loads of good tools decent tools and crap tools. some stored in boxes and if i lose one no big deal. anyhow most of the stanley ratchets ive found are just completely gone. the scredrivers and cutters and stuff are usually good although the cutters are dull, a screw driver is a screwdriver etc. if i have to buy tools i usuall go with something with an in store lietime warranty or if its a very important tool ill spend the extra for a quality piece, unless i find a good quality one that it.

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ratchet set is a regular-line Mastercraft set that I picked up back in 2006 or so and has lasted me quite well. I have had to replace a couple sockets due to losing them and have had to replace the 3/8 ratchet as it broke. The set as a whole isn't available anymore and the ratchets I have aren't available anymore as well. When I took the 3/8 in to get fixed they couldn't find the mechanism so had to replace it. It has also held up quite well. I like this set so much that I bring it with me to my dad's place when working on vehicles as it has more sockets than his Craftsman set and I'm so used to it now.

But I do agree with you on the staff at Canadian Tire in general: what a bunch of hosers, eh.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
My ratchet set is a regular-line Mastercraft set that I picked up back in 2006 or so and has lasted me quite well. I have had to replace a couple sockets due to losing them and have had to replace the 3/8 ratchet as it broke. The set as a whole isn't available anymore and the ratchets I have aren't available anymore as well. When I took the 3/8 in to get fixed they couldn't find the mechanism so had to replace it. It has also held up quite well. I like this set so much that I bring it with me to my dad's place when working on vehicles as it has more sockets than his Craftsman set and I'm so used to it now.

But I do agree with you on the staff at Canadian Tire in general: what a bunch of hosers, eh.

As mentioned, I have mastercraft stuff that dates back prior to 1980.

Yeah, I bought them new not used.

You must be registered for see images

I take the mechanism apart about once a year and clean/lubricate them and then reassemble.

Tools are like vehicles: regular maintenance and they last forever....you just have to find a way to stop loosing them....:rofl:

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive got that 18xpiece black Stanley set from CT and honestly it's been great. I use it for the junkyard or working on around the house/friends places. Got it for $90 on sale from $350. At my shop I use a combo of everything in my toolbox. Jet,Craftsman,Mastercraft,Snap-on.Mac and Grey