Rant: don't buy Stanley tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Meh, most all of my stuff is Mastercraft.

But it's late 70's early 80's stuff before what seems like the universal "cheapening" happened all over.

I believe Gray used to make the CT stuff at that time.

I've got a couple "Jet" pieces for some weird one of jobs, but that's about it. Other than that, cheap tools are what I buy when I want to make other tools out of them (IE: welding, cutting, grinding and making a special wrench sort of thing)

Stanely has never struck me as good stuff. Kind of a "get ya by" sort of tool. Not quite dollar store stuff, but not high quality either.

Methinks you need to police up your tools better. I haven't lost a socket, wrench or even a tap for the last 25 or so years and 4 cross country moves. I couldn't find my 10mm BOE for about 2 months once and I lost my mind. I eventually gave in and replaced it with the same wrench. It showed up about a month later when I found it down in the rad support panel. It sits in the tool box right now next to it's newer brother....:)

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Meh, most all of my stuff is Mastercraft.

But it's late 70's early 80's stuff before what seems like the universal "cheapening" happened all over.

I believe Gray used to make the CT stuff at that time.

I've got a couple "Jet" pieces for some weird one of jobs, but that's about it. Other than that, cheap tools are what I buy when I want to make other tools out of them (IE: welding, cutting, grinding and making a special wrench sort of thing)

Stanely has never struck me as good stuff. Kind of a "get ya by" sort of tool. Not quite dollar store stuff, but not high quality either.

I have no complaints with Mastercraft Maximum hand tools. Break the odd thing here and there but for the most part they seem to be very good quality.

Methinks you need to police up your tools better. I haven't lost a socket, wrench or even a tap for the last 25 or so years and 4 cross country moves. I couldn't find my 10mm BOE for about 2 months once and I lost my mind. I eventually gave in and replaced it with the same wrench. It showed up about a month later when I found it down in the rad support panel. It sits in the tool box right now next to it's newer brother....:)

Trouble is, people come to my house and borrow stuff all the time. SOMETIMES, certain people might forget to let me know they took the tool, and then forget they have it (a little sarcasm inserted there...) That's a long story, and people have their own opinions on whether lending tools is good or bad, but it really has nothing to do with the tools themselves and therefore this thread so I'mma end it there.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I have no complaints with Mastercraft Maximum hand tools. Break the odd thing here and there but for the most part they seem to be very good quality.

Trouble is, people come to my house and borrow stuff all the time. SOMETIMES, certain people might forget to let me know they took the tool, and then forget they have it (a little sarcasm inserted there...) That's a long story, and people have their own opinions on whether lending tools is good or bad, but it really has nothing to do with the tools themselves and therefore this thread so I'mma end it there.

Lol, that's a good way to get a firm smack in the mouth around my garage....:rofl:

I'll help ya do the job or you can bring the car over, but my tools don't leave my possession.

:)

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Lol, that's a good way to get a firm smack in the mouth around my garage....:rofl:

I'll help ya do the job or you can bring the car over, but my tools don't leave my possession.

:)

I'm not saying anything because I don't want any incriminating evidence for the next time tools go missing and somebody ends up sore. That's why I'm being tight lipped.

:lol:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'm not saying anything because I don't want any incriminating evidence for the next time tools go missing and somebody ends up sore. That's why I'm being tight lipped.

:lol:

Easy fix: lock 'em.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Black and decker is also a stanley company.......total garbage

Sent from my iphone while im sitting on the toilet

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a smaller Craftsman Toolbox that came with three drawers of sockets deep and regular plus of course the ratchets. Also came with some (open end closed end) wrenches then bought some craftsman screwdrivers, never had a problem with the lifetime warranty on mine, my dad has craftsman as well and a couple of his ratchets have had to be replaced so we would go up to sears and theyd swap em out no problem! Some people have better luck with different things....

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
I have the same set and it is garbage. My ratchets also change direction by themselves and only having a half set of 1/2 sockets is a huge PITA. One of my attachments broke and I too took it back to Canadian Tire only to be referred somewhere else. It took somewhere close to a month to get the replacement.