Radio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Children of the Sun by Billy Thorpe ,1979 , It will also test your system.
But I do have to say which I forgot is to ultimately test any sound system is play “Phil” in the air tonight! Which is my #1 favorite song it has it all in one song highest of highs and the killer build up to that rapid drum drop that most systems have a hard time keeping that truly clear!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Fez,dirty work,don’t take me alive,fm caves of altamira,black cow,aja,time out of mind! Just few I’ve been jamming lately 38 special if I’d been the one take a listen to.
Steely Dan was a bunch of session musicians, so all their albums sound good ( and have lots of cool sounds that show up on a good stereo).
I have several CDs I like to use for sound system evaluation. Anything that has been recently remastered is usually a good bet.
Pink Floyd, any of their albums are great for this. Interstellar Overdrive is amazing on a good stereo; I remember my brother playing it on the Bose in the Denali after Syd Barrett passed away. It was incredible.
But my favorite ones to use are mostly Texas centric, and might require a little internet digging if you don't have a well stocked record store in your area. But they are well worth the hunt!
In no particular order:
Denny Freeman, Diggin' on Dylan (2012, V8 Records, available on iTunes also). Any of Denny's albums are great, and the Cobras Live at the Armadillo World Headquarters from 1979, and the Cobras Live at the Continental Club from January 1981 are both excellent records! I am a little biased because he was my dear friend, but Denny Freeman was an incredibly talented musician with taste, tone, timing and touch, which are very hard to find and difficult to teach. He could be very subtle and laid back on one song, and the next one he'd be burning the stage down....
Doyle Bramhall, Is It News, 2007, Yep Roc Records
Bob Dylan, Modern Times, 2006, Columbia Records
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Texas Flood remastered edition, and also Couldn't Stand The Weather, remastered edition. There's two versions of these; the first ones came out in 1999/2000, and are single disc with bonus tracks. Second versions are double disc with a concert on the second disc from the tour supporting that album. SRV & DT were on the road a lot, and had all been gigging for decades before they formed this group.

Last edited:

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Yes steely has really only 2 standing members rest are session musicians and they only did a actual handful of live shows back when they were “in” until way years later they started doing concerts again. But steely only wanted perfection sound why they never toured. But that just shows how good they were to not tour.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Pink Floyd testing your stuff check out Echoes on Meddle. Sounds like we are from the same era. Ain't it great being 60+, no kids, retired and doing what you want? And trying to figure out how I have less time now than when I was working, or so it seems sometimes.
I am looking for a CD player/stereo for my 93 Silverado that fits in the factory radio hole. I hate having mine in the middle of the dash and having to reach over to change anything. So far no one makes one that plays CDs.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Couple more months ill be in the 60's crowd. Two more years then im retiring!
Well I'm only 54, but always have listened to music from many eras. My dad used to have "record player night" every week or two, and we'd get classic vinyl out and play it. I also used to make many a mix tape, 8 tracks and cassettes. I got a CD player for my room in '91 for Christmas, and started making mix tapes from CDs. And my brother is even more of a music and movie nerd than me LOL!

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell I remember a Pioneer 8 track was the bomb and I even had a 4 track where the tape sits on top of the player. I think the 4 track tape was Santana Abraxas. It really hits home when the insurance co asks when you first got your license and i have to say 1969 and I was 16, had my learner's permit so I could ride a motorcycle at 15 and a half.