Putting A Chip In A TBI Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is this mysterious "highway lean cruise" nothing more than a block of cells that are tuned at stoich and raised dynamic timing for maybe 10-15% load at 1500 to 2000 rpm during closed loop?

if someone rubs the genie bottle and opens the highway lean mode, is this area tunable, or once engaged, will a modifed engine burn down with a nasty hole in a piston?

is not the oem fuel and timing tables already at stoich with about 36-38 * timing at low loads, for less emmissions and greater economy?

isnt this commonly referred to as closed loop cruise tables?

help me understand this highway mode thingy.
thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HLC is a separate routine than the VE tables. You can adjust it to work with your engine. You can set what MPH you want it to go into, what AFR (stoich is generally 14.7:1) at each MAP level and when it goes out of HLC if you mash the skinny pedal, among other things. And no, people have been using this for years without any adverse effects to the engine.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot the SA when in HLC. BTW, I get no KCs (detonations) when in HLC which could cause damage if not controlled.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I really need to try this on my 1500. On the rare occasion I do road trip the thing it'd be nice to have a little more range. Every mpg gets me an extra 25 miles. It's a bit easier on the TBI rigs.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a search and as far as I can tell @Chris hasn't been around since 2015. What kind of concern do you have? I have heard of EPROMs failing but. it's very rare and since all of our TBI trucks have "chips" we're exposed to this so called "creep". You can switch to the EBL Flash2, EEPROMs like the 27SF512 and socket, or other "emulation" adapters to replace your EPROM depending on what you want to do.

Rich Pagoria

Reaction score
I purchased a chip from a guy who advertises on a number of forums. It cost me about 70 bucks, and it was a pain in the butt to install in the OEM chip carrier. The truck (a 454SS) threw a code and the check engine light came on, and it ran like crap. Had a couple pros check my work, and finally put the stock chip back in. It runs good now, and I learned a lesson about buying only from pros that offer guarantees.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just had Old School EFi adjust my chip to work with my new 383, is wonderful, good power, service engine lite doesn't come on any more and actually shifts better now. Don't bother with any other chip maker when one of our own can do it better than anyone else.