prolems with my 4x4 not working properly....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10ac

Reaction score
i have a 1996 chevy z71 5.7 v-8 regular cab. has the floor shift style 4x4. when i shift it in either 4 lo or 4 hi the 4x4 doesnt work. when in 4 lo i can tell the gear ratio is low but the front wheels arent spinning. i tried it out this past weekend at the desert and it doesnt work. got stuck! what could the prob be?

10ac

Reaction score
is that in the front axle or transfer case? i do need a haynes manual for sure. and by the way... does the tranfer case and the front and rear diffs hold 90wt oil? if so... does it need some sort of additive?

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A- Front Axle
B-If you are asking where it is, spend the $20 bucks on the manual
C-I think the T-case just has regular ATF
D-You dont need additive unless you have a clutch pack type LSD, which you wouldnt have unless someone put it in.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, I say its your actuater. To find it just crawl underneath the passenger side, right behind the front wheel. Look to your left and you'll be looking right at your front axle. Thats where your actuator is at. It screws into the front diff. Just unscrew it, unplug the wires and pop the new one in. Shouldn't take more then 20 minutes :cheers:

97sierra

Reaction score
yea its just that easy ^^ and get that haynes manual it will tell you all that fluid stuff. there handy to have, i have one for every vehicle i own.

10ac

Reaction score
heck yea!! thanks yall. i appreciate all ur help!! man!! everyone is so helpful here!

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First test to see if even getting power to the actuator, if not then it is the switch on the Tcase itself. Also Sometimes the actutors are dirty and just need cleaned up.