4x4 light stays on but 4x4 is not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlknutzen

Reaction score
I have a 95 silverado 5 speed with floor shift 4x4. A while back the 4x4 light came on and stayed on randomly without ever touching the lever. Truck was still in 2wd at the time and felt like it was in 2wd also. I pulled the fuse in case it was engaged. Then when I needed it 4wd i put fuse in and the light came on with the fuse being inserted but I had no 4x4 hi or lo. What would cause this to happen?

Attachments

• 20240216_175649.jpg
    20240216_175649.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You inserted the fuse, and had no 4x4 ? Or when shifted transfer case lever, did not engage 4x4 ? Did you check to see if front drive shaft engaged?

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ‘95 Sierra did the same thing. Folks here steered me to the thermal actuator on the front axle. And they were correct. I swapped it to the later solenoid actuator and wiring harness and it has worked well ever since.

mlknutzen

Reaction score
You inserted the fuse, and had no 4x4 ? Or when shifted transfer case lever, did not engage 4x4 ? Did you check to see if front drive shaft engaged?
When i inserted fuse the light on the indicator came on showing 4x4 is active tho its shifted in 2wd. I shift lever to high or low and drive shaft engages but front axle doesn't.

mlknutzen

Reaction score
My ‘95 Sierra did the same thing. Folks here steered me to the thermal actuator on the front axle. And they were correct. I swapped it to the later solenoid actuator and wiring harness and it has worked well ever since.
I feel a little better knowing this weirdness is more common than I thought. Ill start there then.