Projector Retrofit Build (detailed w/pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubWarrior

Reaction score
Thus far i've had no heat issues even in ~14hrs of sustained use on a road trip. The projector lens itself is a big chunk of glass which absorbs and holds the large majority of the heat preventing any issues.

The only change that needs to be made to the wiring is the 4hi mod. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?122-4-Hi-Headlight-Mod The HID ballasts plug right into the low beam plugs (you may need to plug them in backwards depending on polarity).

I recently enabled the high beam shutters by simply splicing a male headlight connector onto the shutter wires from the projector and then connecting them to the high highbeam plugs. Very impressive how much more light they throw out with the shutter open.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So here is a question....Ever had a lens get too hot from teh Projector being close to it?

I noticed sitting in the garage the lens got EXTREMELY hot...I turned it off...Obviously while driving it will be cooled by the air...but just curious if anyone has had this issue.
Dont suppose there are glass housings available are there?

Glass housings are available. But good luck finding them. IIRC there was a member that had some for sale, or had a line on them. Can't remember who it was, though.

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here are some build pics and the final product.
Sucks that after I got it all back together the drivers side height adjustment quit working so I have to take apart again tomorrow lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

While finishing up today my new tails and cargo light showed up too! Happy day! Lol

Also did red led's in the dash and hvac. Love the look

Also installed 3 button homelink in October (Thanks 6D8Muscle!) .... Then to finish the night off removed the entire dash and hvac from my old TA my buddy bought... BIG build lol!

Attachments

• 20140912_011833.jpg
    20140912_011833.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why they didn't show in the order uploaded but oh well you get the idea. Busy but productive day!

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man.. It had to be cut to hell but it works. Your write up helped a lot!

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I think ive been inspired!! Nice job. Time to do some projector shopping!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the same Amazon ones...but DDMtuning is now offering what appears to be the same style and you could get the bulbs and projectors all in one place and save on shipping. :)

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got my Retrofit projector kit from TRS and I am wanting to fit them in my oem housing, I cant get the oem housing off for the life of me. 15 in the oven at 270 didn't even budge lense, I want to keep OEM housing for the oem look.

EDIT: Posted in the wrong thread.