Vortec 350 w/ TBI retrofit - what cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kthelen

Reaction score
I have a stock Vortec 350 on the shelf, and am thinking about putting it into a truck that's equipped with TBI and a 4L60E. In hopes of keeping the wiring/plumbing nightmare to a minimum, I'd like to retain the existing TBI setup.

I also have an Edelbrock 7116 intake (junkyard find from years back). Supposing I installed that, and an adapter like this...

...I'd like to think I'd be somewhere in the ballpark.

Question is - what might be a reasonable choice of cam, to keep the computer happy, while taking advantage of the newer heads as much as possible?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will physically bolt together, but the squarebore flange shrouds the edges of the TBI bores. Throw a spreadbore-to-squarebore adapter underneath it and it'll fit nicer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Good luck" with the EGR, the A/C compressor brace, and the alternator brace if yours goes to the intake manifold.

You'll also be moving the EST module (if equipped) the MAP sensor, moving the heater-core supply fitting and extending the hose, and adapting the brackets that hold the throttle, and cruise cables.

Depending on which water pump you use, you'll be playing games with the coolant bypass (or using the heater circuit as a bypass.)

Seems to me this site has a thread regarding Vortec engines in TBI vehicles, but I'm too lazy to find it right now.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You've checked to make sure that intake lines up for mounting bolts to heads?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Good luck" with the EGR, the A/C compressor brace, and the alternator brace if yours goes to the intake manifold.
If you have a welder, the braces are easy.

You must be registered for see images attach

You've checked to make sure that intake lines up for mounting bolts to heads?
Google the Edelbrock 7116. It's a Vortec head, so yes, the intake lines up.

chasw44

Reaction score

You'll also be moving the EST module (if equipped) the MAP sensor, moving the heater-core supply fitting and extending the hose, and adapting the brackets that hold the throttle, and cruise cables.

Depending on which water pump you use, you'll be playing games with the coolant bypass (or using the heater circuit as a bypass.)

Seems to me this site has a thread regarding Vortec engines in TBI vehicles, but I'm too lazy to find it right now.
I have a ramjet in a 86 k5 and it was a big job adapting the accesseries to the front. I have since gotten another ramjet complete setup to put on a vortec 355 4 bolt main logblock or a 400 79 sb with the vortec heads and still can't decide on how to use a serpentine setup with the ramjet intake without dumping a lot in a aftermarket front drive setup.