Power Steering Pump Issues? Evo delete already.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

six5ryder

Reaction score
Hey all, I know how the search function works, however it always pulls up 100+ different threads. I recently replaced my engine, power steering pump and did the evo delete. The power steering pump had started leaking at the pressure hose and power steering went completely away. It had been on the truck for a few thousand miles and 2 days ago it started to act as if there is no power steering at all. I ended up purchasing a new pressure and return line. The "bleeding" wasn't as effective as it usually is when I've done before. I've ordered a Mighty Vac adapter to see if that way of bleeding the system will make a change, but I am wondering if there is anything that I am missing. A push in the right direction where this was already discussed will be great. My truck has 235k miles on everything but the running gear. Thank you in advance.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Ac delco pump died In under 6 months, seemed like it wasn't bled fully for a bit and had pressure in the hose but not enough to do anything so I put a gearbox in it. No change. I put the old pump back in and could steer again. But it's a non evo truck, not sure on evo.

six5ryder

Reaction score
My Ac delco pump died In under 6 months, seemed like it wasn't bled fully for a bit and had pressure in the hose but not enough to do anything so I put a gearbox in it. No change. I put the old pump back in and could steer again. But it's a non evo truck, not sure on evo.

Thank you BC. This is an update on what I've been able to do since I posted my issue. I received the pump vacuum adapter and applied it and turned the wheel with front raised. It seemed to work however when I turned the engine on it worked for a few turn to turn locks and then it stiffened right back up. Thank you all in advance for the suggestions.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds a lot like my problem, I even borrowed a PS pressure gauge to test but couldn't get it hooked up.
I didn't think it was the pump because I could see pressure on the high pressure hose. I'd replaced it due to 1/4" of in and out on the pulley put it back in and all better.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what it's worth it IS possible for the problem to be in the steering gear. I went through 3 pumps one was even a service grade ac delco, before I figured out that the steering gear was chewing up seals and clogging orifices and was probably why the pumps kept dying in the first place. So I got a new steering gear along with another rebuilt pump. No more problems and it's been almost a year now.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I had the problem with Low RPM super stiff steering (once warm). Did the EVO delete replaced my pump twice and replace my steering box. The thing that ended up fixing it was I took it to my local alignment shop that knows how to adjust steering boxes. They told me the steering box (even though it was new and did the same as the old box) needed adjustment badly. They adjusted it and my power steering is like a dream now. Not sure if that will be your problem but most forums I've looked at I could never find the issue.