Power steering failed...again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollybear1

Reaction score
98 K1500 SLE, 5.7L. My power steering pump failed today one year to the day I replaced it. Ive got warranty action going on with Rock Auto. Pump has all the fluid in it, just no assist, none. Same as the old pump but I bought the previous from local parts store.

Am I missing something?

The pump I replaced last year with the pressure relief valve delete. Should I have kept it? Is it a coincidence?
The one Im pulling today was not a cheap one (#ULTRA-POWER N7310125 (New) Without Reservoir) I flushed with back and forth into a pan.
I'll have to get another one. Rock Auto is out. Any suggestions for Brand? I'm going to do new hoses and I guess I'll put the inline filter in along with it.

Just frustrating.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Failed, does say what is wrong or what happened. Did you try a pressure gauge?

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98 K1500 SLE, 5.7L. My power steering pump failed today one year to the day I replaced it. Ive got warranty action going on with Rock Auto. Pump has all the fluid in it, just no assist, none. Same as the old pump but I bought the previous from local parts store.

Am I missing something?

The pump I replaced last year with the pressure relief valve delete. Should I have kept it? Is it a coincidence?
The one Im pulling today was not a cheap one (#ULTRA-POWER N7310125 (New) Without Reservoir) I flushed with back and forth into a pan.
I'll have to get another one. Rock Auto is out. Any suggestions for Brand? I'm going to do new hoses and I guess I'll put the inline filter in along with it.

Just frustrating.
Why did you delete the pressure relief?

Rollybear1

Reaction score
No to the pressure gage. Just observed absolutely no assist while turning. The pump is turning and no fluid loss.
The previous pump came with the relief delete. The "C" shaped hard line and the instructions said to pull the electrical plug off and tie it up out of the way. Would not throw any codes.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brand? New unit or rebuilt? Don’t tell us you used the “C”(ardone)word.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had an AC Delco reman die under warranty after a year. At this point my preference would be to send the pump into a company like Turn One to have them rebuild it, or rebuild it myself.

Rollybear1

Reaction score
No to the pressure gage. Just observed absolutely no assist while turning. The pump is turning and no fluid loss.
The previous pump came with the relief delete. The "C" shaped hard line and the instructions said to pull the electrical plug off and tie it up out of the way. Would not thro
Brand is (ULTRA-POWER N7310125 (New) Without Reservoir). Straight from rock auto.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More like “VIA” RockAuto. The journey likely began in China.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That “pressure relief delete” is more than likely the EVO thing that never works, I wouldn’t say that’s your issue.

What kind of condition is the steering box in?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I will also chime in and say that the entire front end should be inspected for stiff/frozen ball joints,tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman