Chirp from new power steering pump??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dlipp_

Reaction score
‘97 5.7l. So I put a new GM Genuine power steering pump in, jacked it up, bled it out, turned the wheel probably 30 times each way. Fired it up let it run with the cap off, but kept having this weird chirp coming from the pump itself, doesn’t increase with rpm. Figured it was Time for a new belt anyway, got a gates HD belt, Genuine GM tensioner, new power steering pulley and idler. Still have this weird chirp that sounds like it’s coming directly from the pump. I’m lost, anyone have an idea?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the pulley flush with the pump shaft? It needs to be to avoid belt misalignment.

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait a second, is that right, the chirp does not increase with RPM? That makes all the difference.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then that tells you it's not any drivetrain motion. Not internal engine, not belt, not tensioner, not pulleys.
Only happens with engine running?
Start engine, chirp ? Yes- shut down engine. Turn key to run position, all instrument lights on , wait for test to finish, standby, does chirp start while waiting with key in run position give it a minute or two?
I'm leaning towards this is not mechanical, rather an electric issue.

Dlipp_

Reaction score
Then that tells you it's not any drivetrain motion. Not internal engine, not belt, not tensioner, not pulleys.
Only happens with engine running?
Start engine, chirp ? Yes- shut down engine. Turn key to run position, all instrument lights on , wait for test to finish, standby, does chirp start while waiting with key in run position give it a minute or two?
I'm leaning towards this is not mechanical, rather an electric issue.
You were exactly right, it wasn’t mechanical. The header gasket blew on the front side of cyl 1, within minutes of the first start a week or so ago, didn’t even cross my mind to cover it with a rag, sure enough, cover up where it’s leaking and the chirp quiets right down, weird it would make that noise but I guess it does lol, good think I had a new gasket coming tomorrow