Power lock switches not working? [SOLVED]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just tried the power lock switches on both my doors and neither work. What could be the problem?
My truck is a 1999 Chevy C1500 "classic"

I did just switch my outer door handle on the passenger side but I don't see how that would interfere with the power locks, I plugged the socket back into the switch itself before I got the door panel back in. Could it be pinched somehow? Would that cause both sides to not work?

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I remembered that my truck came with a power key fob. The fob seems to work well after I put a new battery into it, both locking and unlocking both doors. I read somewhere that in order for an aftermarket fob to be put in these they have to splice into the original wires running from the lock buttons to a relay somewhere?

I tried looking at the wiring on the driver side door to see if it was cut or unplugged somewhere but it all looked good to me. I attempted to get at what I think is the relays behind the glovebox, but I feel like I will need to get the whole dash off to really check them.

What should I look for?

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turns out someone must have had a stuck CIG LIGHTER at some point. My '96 all of a sudden stopped working (power locks) as well. Pulled the fuse #13 labelled for "cig ltr" and it was burnt out. Replaced with a 20A fuse and power locks started working again.

Tried the same on the '99 which was the original problem. Exact issue. Fuse in dash #13 (20A) as burnt, replaced and the power lock switches work again.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well thanks for figuring that out, it would have taken me a while to find that one. I'll definitely keep this in mind if my power locks decide to quit on me.

Antlr

Reaction score
Hi all.
I’m gonna dig up this thread.

I’ve got the same problem in my 97 k1500. Fuse #13 keeps blowing even on 25A. When it’s in the locking kinda works. I say kinda because only the passenger door lock seems to “move” (It doesn’t lock the door but I guess it’s because the lock was not used for a long time and it’s all stiff) the drivers side lock on the other hand doesn’t move at all (I can only hear the relay click)

Any ideas what makes the fuse blow?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
the rivots that hold the actuator in place break and then the mechanism inside flops around and so it wont work right. then the rods wont be in the right spot and can pop out of the guides binding with whatever they contact. this could be what's popping the fuse but I doubt it because it would only pop when you pushed the button and not on it's own. I'd guess water is infiltrating the door and landing on the electronics. I actually seen water on those parts inside my 98 sierra, but I have my door skin off and all those parts hanging on the door handel.

I need to find out why and fix it before I put it all back together. I was putting it all back together and have the inside half screwed back to the door, then I looked at the interior harness hanging off the door handel and so I packed up my tools and quit!

it's never fun working inside the doors but it is a necessary evil. for the first time in maybe forever I have a 100% working door on my burb and it's kinda hard to get used to. what a luxury LMAO!

Al