Porch pirate problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday I expected to find my alternator for my charger on the front step of the house. But when I got home it was not there. I was so upset I was screaming and causing a commotion. One of these days I'm gonna crap in a Box and leave it there for the porch pirates. I did I really hate porch pirates. Especially when I buy something with my hard earned money after busting my tail every morning every day. Would try having a ship to work or use a dropbox.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I live out in the country with a long driveway so no I have not had porch pirates but I have had a USPS pirate once.

I ordered two boat trim cylinders (the hydraulic cylinders that lift and lower the outboard drive unit). And I received a very obviously tampered package with two small dented cans of mandarin oranges. I bought the original parts through ebay and the seller was very helpful and send me a copy of the shipping reciept and he paid extra out of his pocket because they weighed more than expected, and that recept showed the weight when the USPS took it in.

Very long story short, I'm out over $200 because USPS only covers $50 for 'lost or damaged' packages without paying extra for shipping insurance.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday I expected to find my alternator for my charger on the front step of the house. But when I got home it was not there. I was so upset I was screaming and causing a commotion. One of these days I'm gonna crap in a Box and leave it there for the porch pirates. I did I really hate porch pirates. Especially when I buy something with my hard earned money after busting my tail every morning every day. Would try having a ship to work or use a dropbox.
I have stuff shipped to our shop a lot of the time. IDK if that's an option for you, but it works well for me.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of. Installing a camera can be your best option sometimes. It won't stop them, but at least you can ID them. For me, my wife is home all of the time, so she will pick up any delivery.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I live out in the country with a long driveway so no I have not had porch pirates but I have had a USPS pirate once.

I ordered two boat trim cylinders (the hydraulic cylinders that lift and lower the outboard drive unit). And I received a very obviously tampered package with two small dented cans of mandarin oranges. I bought the original parts through ebay and the seller was very helpful and send me a copy of the shipping reciept and he paid extra out of his pocket because they weighed more than expected, and that recept showed the weight when the USPS took it in.

Very long story short, I'm out over $200 because USPS only covers $50 for 'lost or damaged' packages without paying extra for shipping insurance.
Dang it sucks. I was lucky that summit is willing to send me another one for free.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kind of. Installing a camera can be your best option sometimes. It won't stop them, but at least you can ID them. For me, my wife is home all of the time, so she will pick up any delivery.
Thanks for the idea Kenny. Trouble is I live in an apartment building. I would try to talk to the landlord about installing cameras.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Crime of all types seems to be on the upswing. If you're getting packages from a-zon you could opt for having them delivered to their locker service. I used to think it was a dumb idea, but lately, I get a lot of things sent there. Obviously not an option if the items are coming from elsewhere, or if they're too large to fit.

I swear that years ago, I had a mail carrier stealing packages before ever delivering them. Small boxes, things that could possibly have been valuable, would just never arrive. Also a vehicle title, which I had to file for a certified copy to replace. Anyway so I finally caught up to the dude one day and asked WTH happened to my packages. He seemed a little caught off guard, then a couple hours later they amazingly appeared. Packages that were "missing" for weeks....

Richard