Abs problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I think one ought to consider whether the better approach is to simply disable the ABS system to eliminate the abnormal braking symptoms and move-on.

If @Feral peasant is broke (in his own words) and if he doesn't have capable facilities, fixing this problem with a new sensor may not be a reasonable approach.

Feral peasant

Reaction score
At this point I think one ought to consider whether the better approach is to simply disable the ABS system to eliminate the abnormal braking symptoms and move-on.

If @Feral peasant is broke (in his own words) and if he doesn't have capable facilities, fixing this problem with a new sensor may not be a reasonable approach.

Seems like it would. Check your existing hubs to see if they have a corresponding sensor / wire and retaining screw that can be removed and replaced this one.

RockAuto has them cheap:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a picture of a hub assy for a K2500 that shows the removable sensor.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wish I could tell you if this will be an easy job or not.

I'm guessing you'll have to pull the wheel, brake caliper and rotor just to reach into that area.

If you have to remove the hub assembly, from the knuckle, to gain access to that sensor, the job can get big in a hurry if the four retaining bolts won't come out. I had to put a healthy oxy/acet torch on mine to get heat into the hub / bolts so they could be removed. How it works for you, if you have to do it, is anyone's guess. If the truck's never seen salt that would be Good.

Then you have to remove the retaining screw which, if it's been exposed to salt, may be impossible.

I'm hoping that someone who's done the job will say that I'm all wrong.

PS: When I had the same problem on my K1500 I replaced the entire hub assembly / sensor on both sides. After 250kmi+ I figured that was the right thing.
Last year when I got the truck I was told it was a plow truck for about 8+ years I'm hoping it's not too stuck, I replaced the wheel hub and rotor, did my brakes recently so I'm a little familiar with the front end brake system. I'll give a look at connectors when it's not raining if needed replacing them. Mine has 267k miles on motor body has about 550k

Feral peasant

Reaction score

Yeah I think before I head out to school I'm going to take the abs fuse out and see how it handles if anything might just keep it without abs until I can start slowly throwing parts at it

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Feral peasant has a K2500. I noticed the K2500 hubs have threaded holes. I wonder if the bolts come in from the back side of the K2500 knuckle (they come in from the front on the K1500, as shown in the video). If so it means the half-shafts might block access to the head of the bolts.
So far as I know, 6-lug hubs have bolts going from outside to inside.
8-lug hubs have bolts going from inside to outside. Yes, they're no fun to get to with sockets and U-joints.

We need another video...
Or another thread on this forum.

www.gmt400.com/threads/4wd-hub-replacement.120/page-4

Starting at Post 32, if his truck is an 8-lug.

Feral peasant

Reaction score

Yeah I unplugged the fuse after I left work it hasn't pumped back on me but my rear brakes locked from not a hard stop I'll have to do a little more testing tomorrow but seems my rear might be messed up too :(

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my rear brakes locked from not a hard stop I'll have to do a little more testing tomorrow but seems my rear might be messed up too :(

This can happen if, e.g., either or both axle seals are leaking and any of the brake shoes get oily. The drum brakes tend to grab, then.

There may be other reasons.

Others may comment.

Since you've got a K2500 I'll assume you have the 11" drum brakes on the rear.

Last edited: