poping in my front end ? ? any ideas ? ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
ok so i lowered my torsion bars b4 i drove over to new orleans for work it rode a hell of alot better (of course) and the steering was also better and it drove fine the whole time i was over there with no problems at all . now i have a popping noise in my front in when i turn occasionally (fisrt noticed it yesterday) . i have checked all of my steering components and everything is tight and in good condition . the only thing i have noticed is my cv boot is tore on my inner driver side cv . but i never put the truck in 4wd ? is it possible that my front end is staying engaged without it being in 4wd ? any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated !

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
The CV axle itself is probably get worn out. They will make a popping noise whether the four wheel drive is engaged or not, when worn

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
What Deaner said. they still rotate all the time even when not in 4wd. all putting it in 4wd does is engages the transfer case to push the front instead of just letting it move itself.

Reaction score
but it only does it in the proses of turning . i can turn the wheel to the rite or left and do circles and it wont pop its only when my steering components are moving ? and it seems to do it sometimes when im stopping

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Could be ball joints, worn idler or Pitman arm. Or any other caste number of things. There are a lot of moving parts in the steering. As ****** said jack her up and check for excess play

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I agree with ****** as well. Get that front end off the ground to start. The torn boot is never good to let ride. Those spin no matter what on our trucks unless you have converted to manual locking hubs. If they have any lateral movement they will click when you turn. If they are really bad they will click all the time. If that's the case you should get the shaft replaced or you risk grenading it while driving. Constant velocity joints aren't like a ujoint so they should have minimal play. At the very least get a new boot. But with the effort required to change them a new shaft is usually the safest and easiest route. They aren't wicked expensive and you won't risk messing up the boots trying to replace a shaft

Get the biggest set of pliers you have at your disposal and put clamp one edge on the control arm and the other on the ball joint. If they move at all its worn. A little movement is ok but anything more than 1/16 to 1/4 inch of play means they should be replaced. Check uppers and lowers both sides this way. Same for tie rods. They will rock back and forth but should not move up and down inside the knuckle. The inner tie rod should have no play.

Check the centerlink joints the same way. Anywhere you have a nut and a grease boot get them pliers on there and check for in and out movement. Pitman and idler arms too.

With so many connections and steering components in an IFS setup the only way to find your noise is to check it all. They all wear out at some point and an all be replaced so use some good judgement and don't ignore it. If you don't trust your own knowledge take it in to a few places to be inspected. Get a few second opinions.

Tyler/T-Unit