Please help with wiring off road lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,
I am not an electrical guy at all so this circled area is confusing to me as non of the parts I have in the picture seem to match what the directions are showing. I am trying to run the wires for some off road lights I bought on my 97 ECSB that I mounted on a Grill guard. Any help would be appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Are you just running 2 lights on it? It depends on how you want the lights to work also. There is a much better way to do this, and still have reserve power if you decide to run more lights in the future.

Last edited:

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As of now I only have two lights. Any advise would be helpful. I would like the off road lights to work off of the included switch so I can turn them off and on by themselves.

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As of now I only have two lights. Any advise would be helpful. I would like the off road lights to work off of the included switch so I can turn them off and on by themselves.

This is how I Wired Mine: By connecting the power for the relay to an Ign+ source, the relay is only active when the ignition is on, keeps relays from burning out and ki9lling your battery too.
You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,
I am not an electrical guy at all so this circled area is confusing to me as non of the parts I have in the picture seem to match what the directions are showing. I am trying to run the wires for some off road lights I bought on my 97 ECSB that I mounted on a Grill guard. Any help would be appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

The part you circled on the wiring instructions is only for the little LED in the switch that makes it light up and glow red, It's not necessary to connect it, unless you want it to light up. Unless the switch has a relay within it, which would mean it's acting the same way as I drew a diagram of above ^^ (It would only allow power to go through the switch if the ignition is on., otherwise the lights wouldn't turn on.

98_k1500

Reaction score
So you want them completely independent of the headlights/park lights? do you also want them independent of the ignition switch, or to go off with the key?

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you want them completely independent of the headlights/park lights? do you also want them independent of the ignition switch, or to go off with the key?

This is how I always wire after-market lights so that there's no chance of burning out a relay and/or draining the battery slowly.

98_k1500

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

Your ignition wire needs the switch in it, and the batt+ needs to go straight to the relay. The way you have it wired, the lights will pull their load thru the ignition switch, which WILL burn it up.