Pics of my truck, future mods, and some questions! LONG POST. Come in!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, how are you guys? I have been on the forum for about 3 months and have asked a few questions and learned some stuff. People here are really nice and there are some awesome rides.

I wanted so post a pic of my truck, some future mods, and ask some questions. I figured I would post it here since the most traffic is in this section (i think).

Sorry the pics are so big I dont know how to resize them.

If you quote this post, please delete all of the stuff that is not relevant so the reply's dont get so long.

Here is the truck. A 1996 GMC Sierra Z71, vortec 5.7, automatic tranny. I came the way it sits (minus the brush gaurd I took off the first day) with the suspension lift, brand new KM2 tires, centerline wheels, average stereo, viper alarm/keyless, rancho shocks, etc. It has 158k miles and is in good running condition...I paid $3,900 which I thought was a good deal since it is really hard to find 96-98 standard cab, stepsides, 4x4. I am going to do a full tune up and change all the fluids, wires, plugs, cap/rotor, etc. over the next 2 months. I already changed the Spider system to the updated one since a SEL was on and the truck ran A LOT Better after that.

You must be registered for see images attach

The list of future mods will be extensive because I plan on keeping the truck for a long time, I have always loved these trucks. Future mods will be new carpet, sound deadening, better system, bucket seats, clear tails heads parking lamps and corners, exhaust, Big 3 mod, alternator upgrade, vette servo, cowl hood, tune, etc. I am also going to be redoing the door hinges since the doors sag. Here are a few pics of some of the mods I have started collecting. I will start a build thread so people can see the progress over the next 6 months (TIME WILLING).

Now for the questions:

Does anyone have a local junkyard where they could score me the side panels that are missing. They are the ones that run up the cab. I beleive they are for standard cabs only and my yards dont have any, so i am out of luck. I need them for both sides.

My radiator fluid is always full, but the reservoir is empty. The previous owner said he put in a new radiator and I noticed this part is plugged. Anyone know why this would be. The truck runs cool and I have put about 3,000 miles on it and it never runs warm...it runs nice and cool.

Does anyone know what kind of lift this is?

My buddy gave me these headers for free. They are mid lengh and they do not have a part number anywhere. They look to be in nice quality with decent welds. Does anyone know what kind they are or anything about them? I know I am going to have to have a custom midpipe made. They are pink because he got them from a vortec tahoe that was traded in for the cash for clunkers where they spray paint the engines.

THANKS, Jeff !!!

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will check this thread as I can, at least 3 times daily. Looking forward to some replies!

Jeff

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
The lift appears to be a trailmaster kit.

Also I was scared when you said clear taillights you would end up with some ugly mirror looking mexican lights.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Yea I agree on the lift being a trail master or an older procomp. I have seen that torsion bar drop bracket before on an older truck. The truck looks clean! IMO I would put the white letters on the tires in. And your lookig for the little kick panel plastic part right?

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I agree on the lift being a trail master or an older procomp. I have seen that torsion bar drop bracket before on an older truck. The truck looks clean! IMO I would put the white letters on the tires in. And your lookig for the little kick panel plastic part right?

Yeah, it is the piece that is missing in the pic. I dont know what the previous owner did but it is hacked up on both sides and I dont have any standard cabs in my local yards.

The truck is pretty clean overall, it runs really good. I am going to make it cleaner and go through it as I have time but am looking forward to it.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I can call around here if you want. Also have you checked LMC to see if they carry it?

That would be great. I wanted to try and find a used one first before spending a lot. I can paint it if it doesnt match in color.

Let me know what you find and I can shoot you some money to buy them. Thanks.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where did you find the clear lights?

Scoured ebay and found some guy who posted them with a description and no pic for like $80. He said they were brand new in the box so I took a shot and got them....they are hard to find.

BURBAN GUY

Redneck Rolls
Reaction score
My sub has the same radiator in it. The capped off port is for a heater hose that our trucks don't have connected to the rad.
Check the hose and the overflow tank. Mine was pluged bad and did the same thing. Good luck.