Pickup just quit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDFARMER95

Reaction score
Alright guys. Started my 96 up to warm it up to put it in the shed. Fired up like it normally does when its cold, took my duramax to fill with fuel. Came back and its not running. Okay maybe just died. So jumped in and key is still on and everything is dead. So turned the key back and turned it on again and I have absolutely no power what so ever. Lights chimes, nothing. Don't have time to look at it right now, but what the hell could possibly cause this?

NDFARMER95

Reaction score
That would cause it to be absolutely dead like there's no voltage at all? Because like 2 weeks ago, I had 14.4 volts at my battery when charging and hasn't skipped a beat. Just boom and here I am dead in the water.

Loydw

Reaction score
That would cause it to be absolutely dead like there's no voltage at all? Because like 2 weeks ago, I had 14.4 volts at my battery when charging and hasn't skipped a beat. Just boom and here I am dead in the water.
check the battery cable connections on the the battery and chassis. With no power bet it is battery related

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long were you gone getting fuel? And how cold is it? Just wondering incase it's not a connection issue.

In my experience when you can't even light up the cluster or get the starter solenoid to click then it's most likely a battery connection. I bet if you wiggle the cables it'll come back to life.

bdaddy3

Reaction score
Hi - sounds like a dead cell in the battery perhaps... Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I discovered that the factory cables are the cause of my past electrical issues. Take a knife and cut the plastic around the terminals off. On the cable that runs to the fuse box there is a lead biscuit in it that you need. Cut down to the square part of the terminals where the round part ends. Take a wire brush and battery terminal cleaner and scrub those suckers. Then assemble it as if they had the plastic around them (fuse box cable, lead biscuit, starter cable). Then bolt them up. You'll have a clean connection. If that doesnt solve it I would say theres a dead cell in the battery. depending on how long you were gone, could be the alternator. If the cable fix and replacing the battery doesnt work I would have the alternator tested but make sure the person testing it knows what they are doing.