Passenger airbag switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I'm all in for the cubby, but the Oem steering wheels are just so large.

How'd you disable the airbag system?
When my 98 was converted into an 8 lug K2500, I just removed the clock spring, swapped in the airbag-less wheel, then swapped in a 95 dash and pulled the bulb from the cluster.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how reliable and safe these old air bags even are? does anyone know?
That's a very good question. I used to track fire bottle squibs for aircraft, and our projected life cycle started at ten years. If they were proving reliable, the engineers would extend them out. I think the oldest we had got extended to fifteen years. The newest airbag on a GMT400 is twenty-two years old. Fortunately, our airbags predate Takata's ammonium nitrate debacle, so we're less concerned about them being hygroscopic.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thanks Erik I had to look up what that was.... similar tech that activates fire extinguishing agents in the event of a crash.

what would you think of the bag? would it hold the propellant? I picture how dash parts just crumble and wonder what they made the bags out of. hopefully something that will contain the propellant and not just explode in our face.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, airbags are kevlar. I wouldn't worry as much about the bag itself; they only have to hold for a split second. It frustrates the hell out of me when I'm watching a movie and a big, poofy bag inflates and comically gets in the way of the character. When I had to dispose of airbags at the dealership, we'd have the detail shop call a manager or some other desk jockey back to their office. As they'd pass through the shop we'd set off the airbag and they'd jump out of their skin. If you watched the airbag, you'd have an image in your head of what it looked like inflated, but they deflate so quickly that you only have a glimpse. Sounds like a double-barreled shotgun going off, though.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I remember right, airbags are kevlar. I wouldn't worry as much about the bag itself; they only have to hold for a split second. It frustrates the hell out of me when I'm watching a movie and a big, poofy bag inflates and comically gets in the way of the character. When I had to dispose of airbags at the dealership, we'd have the detail shop call a manager or some other desk jockey back to their office. As they'd pass through the shop we'd set off the airbag and they'd jump out of their skin. If you watched the airbag, you'd have an image in your head of what it looked like inflated, but they deflate so quickly that you only have a glimpse. Sounds like a double-barreled shotgun going off, though.
ditto, I set off 4-5 a year, only a fraction of a second of inflation. That is why collision repair procedures are so important, the body has to hit the bag at the right time.