Part # for ignition switch with accessory position?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasondmx2

Reaction score
Working on a 1994 gmt400 just replaced the ignition switch thinking I'd finally have an accessory position. .

Does anyone have a Part # for ignition switch with accessory position? Or a vehicle/year that does.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
On a 94, I believe they all had accessory... If you're not getting into it, you might have a lock cylinder issue rather than a switch issue. My 93 wouldn't go back to accessory unless I shoved the cylinder in, pulled out the key, then twisted it back :rofl: never did fix that. Could also start without the key, but only if you pulled the key out after the point of unlocking the steering wheel

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What Brandon said - your '94 has the ACC position and so should all the columns of this design. I haven't seen too many where you couldn't get into the ACC position but I did repair a couple for customers in the past where the tumbler had gone bad.

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When have no accessory position, do you mean a repair so you can select it again? If you not able to select " acc" by turning the key aft, towards you. Depending on condition your key could be worn out, the key tumbler/ cylinder can become so worn out a small screwdriver can turn the cylinder, or you start the truck and can remove the key without any other movements. And or something failed inside not allowing the key to rotate aft.

Jasondmx2

Reaction score
There is a position before on/run. I tested the original with a meter with the switch off the column in this position and it is not supplying continuity to the orange terminal. I replaced the switch and it's doing the same thing.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The off/ zero position to remove key. The turn back,toward driver= acc position. Turn to zero position. One click forward- unlocks steering wheel. Next click forward- " key-on, ignition on. Next position " starting- spring loaded "
That's the unlock steering wheel position without key in " power/ ing/ running" position.
This setup has been around 30 plus years. :3811797817_8d685371

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might wanna read the owners handbook or get the OE service manual. Testing, diagnosis, schematics, it will be your new best friend.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
There is a position before on/run. I tested the original with a meter with the switch off the column in this position and it is not supplying continuity to the orange terminal. I replaced the switch and it's doing the same thing.
Up to 94 did not have a powered key-in ignition-off position. It's simply acc, lock/off, on, start. 95+ added the separate powered "off"between lock and on.

Jasondmx2

Reaction score
You might wanna read the owners handbook or get the OE service manual. Testing, diagnosis, schematics, it will be your new best friend.
You're on a roll... I'm not reading the 'owners handbook' lol. I've been in the industry long enough to understand the importance of diagnostics and the reason I came here is because the situation was odd, I have nothing to compare it to and I also don't have all day to sit around in my driveway tinkerdickin around. Just throwing some questions around to get some reference.

the actual issue - I now realize that I seemingly had an extra detent in between lock and run and perhaps the ignition switch also needed some adjustment. Lock cylinder may be damaged or incorrect.
I've just dealt with it until now because everything worked in run. I've replaced all the audio and everything always worked in 'run' but now I wouldn't mind being able to turn the radio on without turning my glow plug relay and everything else on.

Now I see the switch (on the bench) is powering the brown terminal in the extreme position opposite start. Problem solved - lock cylinder replacement and some adjustment.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why not fix it so that it works correctly in the ACC position, which as stated, is one position backwards towards you, away from lock?

ACC <- LOCK -> UNLOCK -> ON -> START

Richard