P1345 code assist. Questions. 1996 GMC K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I don't think you ever told us the year & model GMT400 you're working on?
we did not, its a 1996 chevy tahoe, 4D 4WD. the cam is not factory, talking with a GM tech he said i was pretty dumb for puting an aftermarket cam in the truck since he states itll never run right. im starting to belive him. the cam is a doctor bumpstick, (DR220912) recomended by another guy on this group in another page. i did no such checks, but i did notice the gears were set differently between the two dist. will rotate the gear 180* on the summit part just to see what happens.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually do, with the OE dist. The scratches are where the summit dist. Sat at 1 tooth apart. i know the flat spot on the dist and intake arent as they are supose to be, but thats as close as i could get it to fire up,
Does that photo show +20* CMP Retard (not timing advance)? If so, twisting clockwise should adjust for a positive value and it looks like there may have been some room to play with?

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If i remember right, the scratch to the left was 20* cam retard, the one to the right, -20*.

When you spin that 13-tooth gear 180°, it would be pretty neat to see
the resulting new mark split the difference between the 2 marks you already have. (!)

No guarantees that this will fix the issue, but thanks to your documentation we
are going to find out for sure one way or the other. Good stuff!

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend, i have finally reached it. "Equalibrium" lol. Did as was told. Turned the gear 180*

She still stumbles off of idle but its done that for as long as i can remember. Runs far better, got my power back. Doesent die idling, and hopefully i get some MPGs back.

I am, releaved.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1088341040.jpg
    Snapchat-1088341040.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Snapchat-2067245113.jpg
    Snapchat-2067245113.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 12

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta love aftermarket parts, glad you got it sorted out!
oh man me too. you guys were all such a huge help, i cant say how long it would of taken me to figure this out.

well i wouldnt of i was considering finding a way to get an EFI from jeggs or edelbrock and a standalone TCU.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend, i have finally reached it. "Equalibrium" lol. Did as was told. Turned the gear 180*

She still stumbles off of idle but its done that for as long as i can remember. Runs far better, got my power back. Doesent die idling, and hopefully i get some MPGs back.

I am, releaved.

*Yes*

Well played, my friend.

Kudos on going for the fix. And taking the definitive photos showing the difference.

Celebrate the win. And after you've taken a break
, catch your breath, and
collect your thoughts...you may want to consider learning how to tune your motor
so that you can make the most of it. (There are some crackerjack EFI tuners in
this forum, and their powerplants are both well behaved *and* deliver the suds. :0)

Congrats!

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Road Trip

Other than going through what drifter went through, is there a way to know that the gear was installed correctly by the manufacturer?

It’s been a while now, but I think mine had a dimple and an engraved mark that when aligned put the rotor between the cam sensor and the #8 triangle. Not sure if all distributors include those markings or not.