Overheating Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently got an overheating issue where my temp gauge went all way into the red, and my check gauges light came on.
Luckily I had some water on hand so I pulled over and dumped a liter into my engine coolant reservoir.
I am quite sure that my engine coolant is leaking out and evaporating as I see no puddles or leaks on the ground lately.

This is an issue with the head gasket correct? I havent had the issue before so I am not sure. Any help appreciated.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fill the radiator up while the engine is cold and leave the cap off. Start the engine and observe the coolant in the radiator. A few small bubbles are normal, but if it immediately starts bubbling or pushing coolant out, you probably have a blown head gasket or cracked head. If no bubbles, let it run to operating temperature and keep an eye on the coolant. If it was empty, the level will drop substantially as soon as the thermostat opens. Top it off and keep looking for bubbles. If it still doesn't bubble at operating temp, you will need to pressure test it to find the leak.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I burped the radiator when I first got the truck because it was leaking, turned out to be the oil cooler lines which were just loose.
Its my reservoir that seems to always be empty for some reason, lately I just fill it up to cold line with water because coolant is f$^%# expensive as hell.

Should I try burping the rad again? I didnt think it was something you had to do that often..

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should only have to burp the system if it was drained. What you are looking for is the constant flow of gas ( in the form of bubbles) coming from the radiator. The only source of that gas would be a blown head gasket, cracked head, etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk