Mechanical temp gauge False overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Medic0893

Reaction score
I recently replaced my worn out TBI motor with crate carbureted motor. The new engine sat for a while waiting for the old girl to take a dump. She did and the new one is in. Initially I had all kinds of overheating issues. Tried a bunch of things to no avail. Turns out the water pump fins deteriorated and it wasn’t moving water. I replaced the water pump and all is right with the world. Just a thought.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not surprised as the engine starts and warms up there are areas that heat up at a faster rate then others. Is it too hot? Yes and no. As the pump circulates the coolant it intermixed
with remaining block coolant until it warms enough to open the thermostat. Then modulates the temp to main desired thermostat setting.
Temp instrument gauge inoperative? Or deleted as never installed?
Coolant system tight no leaks. Radiator cap good condition, fits properly, using 15 psi cap? If so a 15 lb cap raises the boiling point of water to approximately 260° F. 50/50 coolant water mix adds more to that number.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Radiator cap good condition, fits properly, using 15 psi cap? If so a 15 lb cap raises the boiling point of water to approximately 260° F. 50/50 coolant water mix adds more to that number.
15 psi WITH a 50/50 mix is good to 265 F.

15 psi without anti-freeze/anti-boil is good to ~250 F. The pressure is more-effective than the antifreeze at raising the boiling point.