Older 350 block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmerman96

Reaction score
Sorry if its been covered before but I've done some searches and haven't come up with much. I'm picking up a new motor next weekend for my truck: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/2847698021.html

My questions are: will there be issues mating my tranny? I currently have a 1993 Chevy k1500 ECSB with an auto tranny which I thought was gonna be a 4l60e but I have been reading that it might be a 700r4 because the 4l60 didn't come until 1994. Will there be any issues mounting my serpentine system? I'm gonna get a TBI conversion plate and use the intake that comes with it so what concerns can I expect to address with that? Will the distributor I have on my current 350 swap straight over?

Thanks for the info fellas,

Lucas

farmerman96

Reaction score
I just contacted the seller and he said according to the number its from a 70's corvette or k5 blazer if that helps

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just contacted the seller and he said according to the number its from a 70's corvette or k5 blazer if that helps
Most likely it is an "010" block with that description. You will need the flex plate for 2 piece rear main seal engine (I believe that happened in 86). Your serpentine system will work fine but you will have to modify some of the brackets that bolt to the intake because the holes from the tbi intake won't be in that stealth intake. If you truck has cruise control and 3 cables to the throttle body then it has a 700R4 (1 throttle, 2 cruise, 3 auto tranny throttle valve). The distributor will be fine. The dipstick is on the drivers side on those early blocks so you will need one of those as well. I don't know if Weiand makes a short water pump but you do need to double check that there is a long pump on that engine. With the long pump there is about 1/2" of space between the back of the water pump and the front of the timing cover.

farmerman96

Reaction score
very informative! I appreciate your help. So to recap, I will need a flex plate, the guy has a 4 speed granny tranny that it was mounted to so I assume he has a flex plate that may be usable. I will need a dipstick, I trust that I can buy an aftermarket billet for cheap right? No concerns with the serpentine system and that water pump? My concern was that I needed a reverse flow pump, not sure if I can reuse the one I have on my '93. Gonna drop the a/c but have to retain the bracket for the tensioner I suppose.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4 speed would have had a flywheel. You need a flex plate for your auto. Just make sure you have a long water pump.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you also don't have a provision for an egr, nor does it have AIR tubes, if you have to pass smog that's gonna be a problem.

You must get the water pump for the newer style truck as it's reverse roatation (pretty sure) for all serp. setups.

If you are going to use tbi be prepared to get the chip made and with that you need exact cam specs. Hope he's right on having the cam crad because you'll need it.

Other then mileage and what not I think it'd be cheaper and easier to buy a carb a reg. HEI dist. and run it that way. You can run a block mounted fuel pump since it's an older block and if not you can run a pressure reg. for it and keep the in tank working.

farmerman96

Reaction score
Well where I live in Nevada smog isn't required. Also I am moving to Alaska in June so no issues there. So I can use my existing water pump and just pick up a custom chip? If so I can sell the pump ans headers and make it really cost effective it seems. Sorry, new to all this...

farmerman96

Reaction score
Well, I was gonna pick up the engine this weekend but it sold yesterday. I'm now looking at this: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/2899473911.html.
Guy says that it has less than 3,000 miles on it. Having already discussed the issues with the swap itself, I was wondering if there is any info you guys who happen to be a lot smarter than myself could give me with regards to dropping this particular engine in my 1993 K1500 ECSB. Good deal? Decent power?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it works, doesn't give much info as to what's in it for power and TQ wise.

You CAN in fact use the old waer pump you have, which would be reverse roation. You can reuse your brackets and accessories most liekly as well to make it all work.

The only real time you coudn't use your old accessories would be the very old heads with no accessory holes in the front of them.

farmerman96

Reaction score
thanks for the info. The motor was most recently put into a mid '80s corvette so I'm thinking the water pump on it will be for a serpentine set up but we'll see. I need to get the casting number off the block, do you guys know of any good references to decode the casting #'s?