98 Chevy k1500 350, low oil pressure and misfire.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cgbranch1

Reaction score
I am needing assistance with the next step to take with my truck, 98 k1500 350 with 159k miles. It cranks hard, and has a random misfire while idling. Stutters while driving just enough to be noticeable and has extremely low oil pressure when warm, I have replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button, IAT and OPSU. Oil pressure still reads 5 lb and below at idle and never over 25 lb even at 2500rpm. No noticable rattling or pecking as if it doesn’t have oil pressure. Is the misfire issue and the low oil pressure connected? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is not likely that the two problems are related but never say never.

Get a second gauge reading on the oil pressure. If it is reading correctly you have something worn enough that oil is being "leaked" reducing the pressure. Most likely rod bearings but there are a number of other potentials. Try running a higher viscosity oil (if you are using 5W20, try 15W40).

I would work on the oil pressure before trying to do anything about the random misfire and shutter.

name

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the truck is putting out enough volts, low voltage may make the gages read low & and give you a weak spark.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98 k1500 350

has a random misfire while idling. Stutters while driving just enough to be noticeable
1. Verify fuel pressure during prime, at idle, and under load. How old is the fuel filter?

2. Connect a scan tool, look at the misfire COUNTS for each cylinder. Find out which cylinder(s) are acting up.

3. The OEM poppet-valve fuel injector spider and regulator assembly is infamous for rough idle, poor power, poor starting, etc. Similarly, the intake manifold gaskets are also infamous for misfire (rough running especially at idle) and coolant leakage

and has extremely low oil pressure when warm
Verify oil pressure with a known-good "shop gauge" connected to the pressure port.

How old is the oil? Did you use a quality oil filter last time--the filter media didn't collapse?

Consider an oil change with a known-quality filter, and proper oil viscosity.

Oil pressure still reads 5 lb and below at idle and never over 25 lb even at 2500rpm.
If the engine idle speed is low due to misfire, oil pressure can be reduced also. But that does not account for low oil pressure at higher RPM.

Cgbranch1

Reaction score
It reads just over 14 volts while running, I changed the oil this afternoon with 10w30 (because that was the thickest gas engine oil they had) and a new Mobil 1 filter and this made no change to the reading. I am going to get a manual gauge and check the oil pressure as soon as possible.