350 stroker build (ca smog legal?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braidenserpa

Reaction score
I have a 1994 chevy k1500 with a stock 350 tbi. This coming summer I want to pull the motor and get it bored .030 over build it into a 383 stroker with new heads, cam, etc. How would I go about this and make it be able to pass ca smog? Would I have too keep the tbi? is there another way around it? let me know which your ideas or help if you've done this. thanks in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
STOP.

BEFORE you spend one dime on this project, you should talk to the Smog Police to see what's legal and what isn't. I'm thinking these folks are called the CARB Referee, but whatever their title, you need to have the conversation.

First off, you cannot remove or defeat any of the existing pollution control devices, and the ones on the engine have to be functional. This includes a California-spec catalyst, EGR, PCV, AIR pump and plumbing (if equipped), the charcoal canister, and so forth.

Second, if you increase the displacement, you're almost certainly going to need to tune the computer to compensate. And far as I know, that's an automatic fail at the test station.

Third, all your aftermarket upgrades--which don't include "OEM replacement/equivalent" parts, but would include the aftermarket cylinder heads, camshaft, rocker arms, etc.--had better have a CARB Exemption sticker and paperwork, and you'd better be able to keep track of it so it doesn't get lost.

The .030 overbore is meaningless in this context, provided you use an OEM-style replacement piston that maintains approximately the stock compression ratio.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is possible to build a 383 keeping a stock or small RV cam and run it under cover through smog. A 383 rotating assembly does not change anything externally identifiable compared to a 350. I ran a 383 with a MTC1 cam and a little fuel pressure adjustment through the dyno emissions test here in Texas years ago. It was cleaner than the high mileage 350 it replaced.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They don't know if you're tuned or not, not that far back. They can't even tell on a C5 Corvette. C6 and newer though you're hosed, so GenIV+.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They don't know if you're tuned or not, not that far back. They can't even tell on a C5 Corvette. C6 and newer though you're hosed, so GenIV+.
They can tell all day long on both. Anything that sends out a check sum in the datastream, including your C5 or trucks.