Old man stepside to bad@$$ lifted monster - 95 K1500 ECSS Z71 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kink3

Reaction score
Here's where it all began...
You must be registered for see images attach

Was looking for a similar truck on CL and found this bad mamajamma, wasn't thrilled about it being a stepside but was otherwise exactly what I wanted. So the next day my name was on the title. I was super excited as a 17 year old guy, this was the nicest thing I've ever owned.

Very first thing I did was ball joints. The 200K miles original joints were about to give up. Those mud flaps had to go while I was at it!

Ran it out of gas just after we were done and pulling it out.

Had to make sure the suspension was up to par for shenanigans.

Started with the cheap stuff... $30 worth of plastidip makes the truck look way better! Color matched the bumpers.

Hahaha, you can see the stick holding the headlight up 'cause the mount was broke.

Loved the stuff so much I blacked out the grill too!

Hypertec Salad bowl mod. Super easy mod! Here's a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOo4vg_xWjk

I'm all about that bass! Don't have any other pics but this sub came with a 1' cube box that I cut in half so it would fit under the back seat. Bought a used Pyramid 1k watt amp off my buddy, and a cheap wiring kit off Amazon.

Those steps... I'm just too young to understand. :D

The steps were hiding flakey paint, mounting holes, and surface rust. I doctored that up in the driveway with my limited bodywork experience. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUEObzUKZg

Next up was more plastidip on the wheels. New bowtie grill that I color matched and some killer 'smoked' headlights! Decided I didn't like the window visors or the rear window louvers. Looks sooo much cleaner without that nonsense.

The truck had a full 3" exhaust, no cat, and a slightly louder muffler than stock, so all it needed was headers. I found some cheapo shorties on Amazon that turned out to be pretty good! You can see where I had to chop the alternator bracket in the first pic. Lol, that's a brand new master cylinder too!

Last day of senior year!!!! WOOT WOOT!

... later that day. :D

One week later the workaholism began. Got a job and was working 65 or sometimes more hours a week so the truck didn't change much for the next few months. All I really did was clay, polish, wax, and do a light detail to it. The pic doesn't do it justice, it looked really good!

Bought this as a summer toy so the truck really got set to the side. '99 Buick Regal GSE, supercharged 3800 Series II V6. Most fun I've ever got to experience driving a car!

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
looks good man. I built my truck on a highschooler's budget. It takes time man. Ive had 4 different jobs so far and my truck is still not done. takes some crazy patience but its rewarding. Truck looks killer man keep it up

kink3

Reaction score
After finding a job I like, making more money with less hours (winning!!) it hit me, I started looking at lift kits. Then this popped up on the vast internet.

I had to do it! That picture is exactly how I envisioned my truck! My wallet sure wasn't happy about it, but I haven't looked back!

Then these bad boys showed up on my door step.

Had them mounted. I could not believe how good they looked even off the truck! :D

6" RCX susp. lift, Eagle Alloy wheels 15" with ~4" of backspacing, 35"x12.5" Mickey Thompson MTZ.

Lift kit install time!!! Didn't get to take many pics 'cause I was in a time crunch and I was working by myself for almost the whole process.

Lol, the keen eye will notice I had the rear lower control arm drop in backwards. That was the biggest mistake I made, so it went pretty smoothly.

That looks better!

Finished up the front after almost the whole weekend.

Lift was finished up! Left the 265s on before it got aligned.

First time driving it with the new additions! Toyed around on some dirt roads real quick.

This is the finished product. HAH, we all know how that goes!!

Here is the comparison shot.

The stock 3.42 gears were not cutting it. The 10 bolt rear even had the G80, so I wanted to see if I could get away without regearing. No biggie, I figured I would have to. Decided to go with 4.11 Yukons with an Eaton trutrack. This was one of the few times I've actually paid a shop to do the work. The lift I can handle, but regearing is over my head.

Last edited:

kink3

Reaction score
looks good man. I built my truck on a highschooler's budget. It takes time man. Ive had 4 different jobs so far and my truck is still not done. takes some crazy patience but its rewarding. Truck looks killer man keep it up

Thanks man! I was actually running through your build thread earlier. I can def appreciate the amount of work it takes to get a truck where yours is at! I have a diesel bumper that needs some fog lights and some 2" hockey pucks are in the mail, so there's more to come!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Nice build man! Do you happen to have fender measurments?

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love the truck, I also loved the steps, those were unique, plus they're for short people like me lol, what's your future plans? And you should post done interior pics

Live action!!

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
Absolutely awesome build man! I wish I had had more time in High School to get some work done on my truck like you did haha.

How is it to run the 35s? Are you getting clearance for the A-arms when you turn? I've held off getting bigger tires than my 258s (which I think are 33s?) just because I get some serious rub on my passenger A-arm when turning left.