Oil Leak - Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Alright, so I've had it with this oil leak. It comes and goes. It didn't leak for over a week, but then it dropped over a quart in two days. It's a little bit to the right from center (from where it's hitting the concrete) and about a foot back from the front wheels. Anyone have any suggestions?

The bottom of the truck is so dirty and greasy that I can't tell where it's dripping from. I'm thinking I might just change my head gaskets and oil pan gaskets. Any suggestions as to main problem areas for these, or things I should check? Advice for changing those gaskets, or things I should do while I'm there?

I've searched and saw that it's suggested you change the oil pump and screen when the pan is dropped. Is that difficult? Anyways, truck is running fine, no heat or oil pressure issues, it's just leaking.

Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
Take the truck to a local self serve car wash, clean off the bottom of the engine area as good as possible..You need to isolate where the leak is coming from, just blindly replacing seals/gaskets isn't the answer....

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd crawl under the truck and visually inspect the engine block above the oil pan. The there is oil on the block, it is likely a head gasket or valve cover gasket. If there is nothing above the oil pan, then I'm betting that is the culprit. As Swagger said, I'd definitely clean the engine and undercarriage up first though.

I have the same issue, but need to get my brakes figured out first.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Car wash first and then see where it might be coming from. Change out your PVC valve. Does your truck have a oil cooler? If so check the lines I don't think it would be a head gasket if that was it your truck would be running bad now it might be the valve cover gaskets check the bolts. DON'T go putting on a high volume oil pump when one does that you need a bigger oil pan and since your oil pressure is fine don't change yours. Maybe buy a can of engine cleaner and spray down your engine real good before you go to car wash take some card boards so you can lie down on so you can get all the bottom of the engine. Just my two cents.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
Take the truck to a local self serve car wash, clean off the bottom of the engine area as good as possible..You need to isolate where the leak is coming from, just blindly replacing seals/gaskets isn't the answer....

do this, then return. i will have suggestions after such.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll crawl under there and take a good look and see if it's all on the pan, or also on the block. I'm driving a lot this week, so I need to stay on top of the leak, as I probably won't have time to fix it until the weekend. Thankfully, I've made a habit of always having a quart of oil in the truck.

I'll look around and take some pics if I can.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Is truck fitted with oil cooler lines? These are known for leaking too.

I don't think so, but how would I find out? It's not a 4wd, if that makes any difference. Is there an RPO code to look for? I know it has the tow package, so maybe? How would I tell?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think so, but how would I find out? It's not a 4wd, if that makes any difference. Is there an RPO code to look for? I know it has the tow package, so maybe? How would I tell?

Is there 2 lines that run from drivers side, bottom of the block by the oil filter to your radiator?