OE lower control arm solution?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fully forged lowers are 8-lug parts. I think usage on the 6-lug trucks is as simple as swapping it in place. I don't think the taper in the knuckle has to be modified unless swapping in GMT-800 knuckles.

Three kinds of lower control arms:
1. Entirely stamped-steel. Bolt-in ball joint.
2. Stamped steel, forged outer end. Press-in ball joint.
3. Forged control arm. Press-in ball joint.

They're all interchangeable as an assembly, although I don't promise that the ball joint tapers are the same (they probably are.) The general consensus is that the fully-forged arm is the most desirable.

Just checking: Is the torsion bar "hex" receiver the same size on all three? I started to wonder if the 8-lug forged arms weren't different / bigger there.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just checking: Is the torsion bar "hex" receiver the same size on all three? I started to wonder if the 8-lug forged arms weren't different / bigger there.
Yes, the hex is the same. Thus allowing someone to use 1 ton torsion bars in a half ton, short wheelbase plow truck, to carry his Fisher V-plow...

andrewS

Reaction score
Ran across this thread, got curious and checked the 4WDs:
2000 1 ton 350 gas, Stamped lower w/ forged outer, pressed in ball joint
1999 1 ton w/ 6.5TD, fully forged, press in ball joint
1994 1 ton w/ 6.5TD, entirely stamped, riveted in ball joint
1990 heavy half (6 bolt wheels) entirely stamped w/ riveted ball joint