Occasional slow start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the 3.42 gears which I'm sure helped, and that figure was just off the OBD scan, getting ready to go 1k mi round-trip to visit the in-laws this weekend so we'll see how it holds.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
could possibly be the crankshaft position sensor starting to go out.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, that is one nice looking Suburban! Congrats on finding it. Second: great fuel mileage, which I hope indicates a basically healthy engine. My own truck has 3.73 gears, and I'd be happy, very happy, with that kind of mileage.

Hope there are no issues on your trip, and that the slow start issue just goes away...

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could possibly be the crankshaft position sensor starting to go out.
I have wondered this. Had that problem on my Jeep years ago, though it was very sudden (worked fine one day, and not the next).

Would that throw a code though? I don't have any OBD codes.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, that is one nice looking Suburban! Congrats on finding it. Second: great fuel mileage, which I hope indicates a basically healthy engine. My own truck has 3.73 gears, and I'd be happy, very happy, with that kind of mileage.

Hope there are no issues on your trip, and that the slow start issue just goes away...
Yes, if that holds I'll be delighted. Our 2011 Mazda CX-9 averaged about 19mpg on my daily commute, which is part of why we rearranged the fleet.. If the Suburban gets 20+ for highway trips that'll match the Mazda, so that would be sweet.

My truck with 4.10 rear gets 17ish highway.. but it's a manual transmission diesel, so not really fair.

cdub

Reaction score
but runs fine and getting 20mpg so can't be too bad

I can only dream of getting 20 mpg. I get 16.5 on the hwy at 65mph and 14.5 around town.

Sounds like the fuel pump check valve is doing it's job holding pressure when EOKO. :shrug:

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm strongly suspecting CPS, but surprised at no CEL.

Reason is : When I notice it's a hard start, if I turn the key all the way off, and try again, it fires right up. So it's just like it occasionally isn't triggering something that it needs to.

Weird.