Slow crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbrewer7

Reaction score
Hey I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7, and it’s very hard to crank and has like a slow crank almost like the battery dead, and it has a new battery, starter and I had the alternator tested good, and when it does crank it runs real good, does anybody have any suggestions also I checked my ground and cleaned, but maybe I missed one I’m not sure, all help would be appreciated thanks.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
AS @Erik the Awful alluded to, there could be a problem with voltage drop on your positive cable. Even the negative can have a voltage drop problem too. Numerous things can cause this. Corrosion at either end, corrosion under the cable insulation, length of cable and gauge of cable. Age can also effect, if the wires inside the cable insulation are coming apart. You can check voltage drop by seeing how much voltage you lose when you measure the voltage at each end and compare. A new battery can still be bad and not hold up to the voltage asked of it by the starter. You checked ground and cleaned but at both ends? Checked the positive cable the same way?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media