Not about the truck but a paint question none the less

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need some info.. Sorry it's not truck related.. I am painting my motorcycle.. I have a guy telling me to use rattle can primer instead of buying a quart of it to spray through the gun.. This is going to be my first paint job.. I assume spraying through a gun would be better then using rattle cans.. I just wanted to get your input... Now this is a question for the primer.. The paint will be sprayed through a gun

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get a separate gun for primer. Spray guns go by the nozzle size like 1.4, 1.5, 1.6. It will be better in the long run to spray it out of a spray gun. It will never look the same as a rattle can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I don't see a problem using a rattle can as long as you get the primer uniform and spray it with a gun it should be fine

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok.. I'm planning on sanding the primer with 600 and 1500 before paint.. I'm just worried that that something will go wrong with it if I use rattle can

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going to paint it right primer and seal it right as well. Rattle can primers and paint never actually dry as they use no hardener unlike actual mixed paint made for automotive and industry applications..

sent from what use to be a great country..

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
No to the rattle can.

Get the recommended primer for your top coat.

Apply IAW suppliers recommendations.

Stop listening to anything "rattle can guy" has to say....

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This^ a good paint job is in the preparation. A rattle can primer is good for you household projects but not a paintjob for a motorcycle. Take your time and it will be worth it in the end

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small parts are fine to fog over with a rattle can. Other than that, they suck. Nothing covers better than a gun with actual primer in it. You will spend less time and less money using a gun (except for the cost of the gun) and you will do a much nicer job.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are looking for a cheap primer gun. Harbor freight or Home Depot or eastwood are great