Rim Paint Color Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 97' Chevy C1500. I am looking to repaint the stock rims and instead of doing the original silver color, I would like to do the gold color that I could have sworn my fathers 97' GMC Sierra rims had. I think I may be mistaken though, I know for a fact that the lower half of the two tone paint job on his old truck was gold! What is the name of that color? Did they ever paint rims in that gold color?

Thank you in advance!

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97' Chevy C1500. I am looking to repaint the stock rims and instead of doing the original silver color, I would like to do the gold color that I could have sworn my fathers 97' GMC Sierra rims had. I think I may be mistaken though, I know for a fact that the lower half of the two tone paint job on his old truck was gold! What is the name of that color? Did they ever paint rims in that gold color?

Thank you in advance!

The GMT800 Series Tahoe and Burb (00-06) with the Z71 package had a gold tint to the wheels inside the spoke holes. But I have never seen a GMT400 with factory gold wheels, even trucks with the gold two-tone paint on the bodies. If you ever saw one, it was likely aftermarket.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The 400 aluminum wheels are clear coated with clear lacquer. With age, but ESPECIALLY if they've been heated up, this clearcoat turns yellow, giving a gold effect.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 400 aluminum wheels are clear coated with clear lacquer. With age, but ESPECIALLY if they've been heated up, this clearcoat turns yellow, giving a gold effect.
Hmmm…that got me thinking. As I’ve posted recently on refurbishing the Chevy bow tie, it is actually silver under amber tinted plastic that gives it the Gold look. I wonder if freshly painted Argent Silver with an Amber Lacquer top coat might achieve the same effect. :boti:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you in advance!
Greetings,

I took a screen snap from a very helpful webpage that has a large database of
what factory colors were offered in what years...and include the color codes.

Of all the colors that they offered for '97 Chevy pickups, there were a couple that
most would think is gold -- see below:
You must be registered for see images attach

(Credit: Paintref.com LINK for '97 Chevy truck)

From over here, Light Autumnwood might be the one I've seen in a 2 tone, but the Tan
has a more gold hue? Anyway, if you follow the link above there is a treasure trove of info.

Painting the steel wheels to match the body color has been done either by the manufacturer
or the owner in order to make a subtle change to help make the truck stand out from all
the others. Here's a perfect example of what they did to the '74 GMC that was the Official Truck
of the Indy 500 that year:

(credit: drivingline.com LINK)

So possibly your Father got ahold of a special edition (maybe regional?) ...or he had it done
himself in order to make a subtle change, but ended up making a lasting impression on you?

Lastly, I found your posting of interest, because ~9 months before I joined this forum I
repainted my own steel wheels to match my truck, and was happy with the results. (LINK)

As in all things having to do with style, it's a personal thing, and there's no right or wrong
answer...as long the change doesn't prevent you from driving it around & enjoying it. :)

Me? I think your idea to color match your steel wheels is a great one...makes it a little more you,
and lessens the chances of parking right next to a twin at the next show & shine.

Cheers --

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Greetings,

Of all the colors that they offered for '97 Chevy pickups, there were a couple that

From over here, Light Autumnwood might be the one I've seen in a 2 tone, but the Tan
has a more gold hue? Anyway, if you follow the link above there is a treasure trove of info.

Painting the steel wheels to match the body color has been done either by the manufacturer
or the owner in order to make a subtle change to help make the truck stand out from all
the others. Here's a perfect example of what they did to the '74 GMC that was the Official Truck

So possibly your Father got ahold of a special edition (maybe regional?) ...or he had it done
himself in order to make a subtle change, but ended up making a lasting impression on you?

Lastly, I found your posting of interest, because ~9 months before I joined this forum I
repainted my own steel wheels to match my truck, and was happy with the results. (LINK)

As in all things having to do with style, it's a personal thing, and there's no right or wrong
answer...as long the change doesn't prevent you from driving it around & enjoying it. :)

Me? I think your idea to color match your steel wheels is a great one...makes it a little more you,
and lessens the chances of parking right next to a twin at the next show & shine.

Cheers --
The Gentleman Jim special edition truck for '75 had those gold Rallye wheels, they look killer on a black and gold truck!
About the '97 GM trucks color chart posted...my '97 crew cab long bed is code 55. The compnine report on the VIN number that @1ton-o-fun ran for me , shows this color as Light Autumnwood Metallic. On the later 400s like the Suburbans, that is the GMC name for the color that Chevy calls "pewter metallic" and Cadillac calls "Silversand" (per @Cadillac Bob who's beautiful Escalade is that color). Which is definitely a more silvery color, than the gold ish color that my CCLB is. Pewter is the color my Burb is; '91,000+ of the '99 Suburban production was that color according to compnine.
I got another VIN number report from @Caman96 , and the company he used said that the code 55 paint on my truck is called "Rawhide Metallic" which sounds more like a gold or tan metallic color to me. This is where this truck 's name "Rawhide" came from. You can see from the picture, they are two similar, but different, colors.
Curiously, I have not seen this color name used anywhere else!

Attachments

• original_005673c4-ee58-4898-90cb-208de36d7a7c_IMG_20220718_140249.jpg
    original_005673c4-ee58-4898-90cb-208de36d7a7c_IMG_20220718_140249.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Greetings,

Cheers --
LOL, I just want to stick with repainting them in a gold. Color matching my rims to the truck would mean that they get painted blue! I dont want that ;P

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm…that got me thinking. As I’ve posted recently on refurbishing the Chevy bow tie, it is actually silver under amber tinted plastic that gives it the Gold look. I wonder if freshly painted Argent Silver with an Amber Lacquer top coat might achieve the same effect. :boti:
GM has a position statement on refinishing aluminum wheels. I did a couple sawblades with the 2 WA numbers listed and used ceramic clear to see how they would look. The sparkle silver is brighter. Strip, glass bead, epoxy primer, case, clear.