no spark still... help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright. it is looking more and more like a PCM problem, thats for sure. if you find one to try, it HAS to be a '97 PCM. they are wired differently from the 96 and 98+ ones.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
******.... well, I'll have to find a 97 around here to borrow the pcm out of. Im too broke right now to buy one just to try.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I don't blame ya, I've got one from a '96 but it won't work for you. its super rare for the PCM to go out, but I've seen stranger things, and usually when they go out they'll act strange, throwing odd codes and such, which I guess could be what the CKP codes are.

the only other things I can think of is if you didn't use the thermal paste under the ign module, they can fry pretty quick. or if there is a short somewhere between the PCM and ign module, or ign module and coil.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, I don't blame ya, I've got one from a '96 but it won't work for you. its super rare for the PCM to go out, but I've seen stranger things, and usually when they go out they'll act strange, throwing odd codes and such, which I guess could be what the CKP codes are.

the only other things I can think of is if you didn't use the thermal paste under the ign module, they can fry pretty quick. or if there is a short somewhere between the PCM and ign module, or ign module and coil.

wouldnt it take the motor atleast starting for it to fry? and yes I gooped it in there pretty good.

If it ran after the coil replacement, do you think you could have got a faulty new coil?

anything is possible I guess.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah if you gooped it up then its probably not fried.

so I'd try a PCM if you can get ahold of one. otherwise it might be tracing down a wiring short, or possibly bad replacement parts that you got. if you want another coil to test I have one that worked when I pulled it off that I'd send you if you cover the shipping. but since you've already replaced the coil. I'd try the PCM first.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks. Im looking for a local pcm I can try out for a few minutes and then give back. If the PCM is pooched, I'll probably swap to a 411, but I need to know its the damn thing first.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let us know if you find out!

I've only had one PCM go 'out' before, but it didn't stop the truck from running, it just started throwing a bunch of strange codes, I opened the PCM up and it had a bunch of white corrosion looking crap inside it.