Newb with dumb questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LowFlyr

Reaction score
Whats up guys? I picked up my first lowered truck the other day and like a dumbass I went and ordered wheels before I really measured anything. I guess I got a little excited.

Anyways, here is what I am working with: 1988 GMC Sierra, Unknown drop kit, C notched, 14 bolt rear end, 550hp 408ci small block, 66 dash and back glass, shaved everything, and a few more odds and ends. Currently it has 295/50r15 (26.6") rears and 265/50r15 (25.4") fronts. No rubbing issues running that setup. I bought a set of Torque thrust 2.1's 18x9 with 5" backspace (0 offset) and 18x8 with 4.5" backspace (0 offset) and would like to run 285/40's in the back and 225/50's in the front. That will give me 27" diameter front and back. Does anyone that knows anything about wheel\tire setup see anything wrong with running 27" diameter setup on this truck? I have no idea how much its been dropped.. I measured the rear shackle and it is 7.5" bolt to bolt. Any tips would be appreciated!

You must be registered for see images attach

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Welcome, nice truck! I'd agree on some bigger meats; can't help you with lowered info though - sorry.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Thats a Cool truck... my answers only an assumption, that there will be plenty of clearance as far as tire diameter is concerned for the rear since its only 4 tenths larger and about an 1.6" in the front. plus the tire your getting is narrower in the front.

Im sure the Lowered truck enthusiast will give you the best answer. Keep posting Pictures and some video!!!if your gonna swap tires burn those 15's off!!!

LowFlyr

Reaction score
I pretty much took care of the back tires! They are toasted. I didn't figure I would run into too many issues running a 27" diameter but I was concerned about my 0 offset wheels. I'll have to wait until she gets home from the shop to record some good vid but I might have a lil something on my phone here.
You must be registered for see images

LowFlyr

Reaction score
I have detailed the engine bay since this pic and it cleaned up very nicely

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Very nice truck. I can't help with your tire questions either, but if you repost it in the lowered, bagged thread, and title it something like need help with tire size on droped C notch 88 or something like that, you should be able to get some help. There are a lot of members here with dropped trucks. In the post, it would not hurt to include the HP as this will affect the tires you choose. I have issues with my traction, and I only have about 325 HP in mine, so with your big HP traction and good tires is a must. The 66 dash is very cool. All of these truck with plastic dashes suffer the same fate. Cracking and just falling apart.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad, this is in the lowered thread, but you may want to try a tire size on C notch question thread also.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome, sweet truck! I'm curious about that dash, is that a custom built unit or was it swapped in from something older? Maybe a combination of the two? I hate the plastic dashes in these trucks and whatever you did there looks pretty damn good!

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought 20x9 0 offset, running 28" diam all the way around, 10" width. (255-40-20) to my understanding 0 off set would be dead center making that a 4.5 back spacing.. Your rears will be 11.2 if you have 5 inches of back spacing I think you will have about .1 inch between the rolled fender.. (11.2-10=1.2/2=.6" I have a half inch from tire to rolled part of fender, and your 5" of backspacing would give you .25" .5+.25=.75-.6=.15")... I think that's a little close for comfort... should be plenty good on an 8 with 4.5 inches of backspacing for the front 2, your taller and skinnier so at worst I think you'd have to roll your fenders, if they're not already... But all of this is assuming my 0 offset is dead center, and yours are off the listed back spacing you gave, not also a dead center 0 offset... I'm not 100% but I believe that's how the wheel spec works out... Sorry if that got a little long winded.. Here's pics to verify my dimensions some one correct me if I'm wrong.