WI newb with 99 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello

I just bought my first GMT400 truck. I've had many other Chevy pickups over the years. Several S10's and Square bodies over the years. So I'm no stranger to Chevy trucks.
Current daily driver is a 2016 2.5L Colorado W/T.

Recently I have converted a 14' aluminium cargo trailer into a camper. The 4cyl Colorado will tow it. It just needs to rev it's brains out to do it. The torque peak in the truck is @ 4200 rpm. You gotta buzz it to get it to pull. However it will pull it. Using it like that drops the MPG down to 9-10 range.

Decided a bigger truck would work well for the camper. Did not want to pay Square body money for a second truck. I also have liked the OBS truck style for years.
I found the truck I bought about 2 hours from home. Guy owned it the last 13 years. It was his daily driver. He is a mechanic for a large farm equipment repair shop. He really kept the mechanics of the truck in top shape. It runs, rides and drives excellent.

Sad part is the truck is starting to pop out rust in loads of places. The frame and mechanicals are all in shape. The lower body, rockers, rear wheel well top edges and door bottoms. They are either starting to discolor the paint from underlying rust. Or just starting to hole through. I have no intention of restoring the truck body. Seen too many others fix a rusty truck. To only have more pop out in a different spot. I am just going to do my best to fight the cancer onslaught.

Plan is to oil coat the bad spots and so forth. I think I can keep the truck looking fair. For as long as I will need it. Truck is a 1999 K1500. Absolutely everything works except the key fob and CD player.
203K miles with a 5.7 Vortec. Posted some pic's. It looks good in the pic's. Just like any other 10 footer. Up closer is when you can see the start to all the cancer. I aim to stop or slow way down the truck's rusty demise.

Attachments

• z71c.jpg
    z71c.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 9
  • z71b.jpg
    z71b.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 8
  • z71d.jpg
    z71d.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 10
  • z71.jpg
    z71.jpg