new shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fleischmann95

Reaction score
hey, i was inspecting my truck when i noticed both of my shocks in the back were rusted through completely im just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what shocks i should buy, the truck has 3 inch blocks in the rear.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best perfomance will be Bilstien shocks but they are more costly then the cheaper superlift, rancho, pro comp shocks. With a 3" block in the back you will need longer then stock shocks too, I was running 4"-6" lift shocks with my 2" blocks.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
x2 on the Bilstein's. I have the 4600's on mine right now. Once I lift it I'm going with the 5100 series.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x3 on bilsteins although I just bought the pro comp mx6's for my dual setup and love them, bilstein by far will take your $ the farthest. Definitely go with a "monotube" type shock over the typical "twin tube". Most of the new shocks nowadays are just twin tube (inferior to monotube) with a pretty sticker and design on them, plus monotubes can be mounted and function regular or upside down. Go to 4wheelparts.com I couldn't believe it but they actually have the best prices on shocks and killer deals on a package of 4 shocks, even better than ebay or anywhere else. Hope this helps, you should notice a huuuge difference.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah the factory bilsteins on my z71 still had rebound to them after 195k miles, slow but some which shocked me, no pun intended. Monotube is the way to go, My truck rides so much better with the new Reflex monotubes i just put on it, it's like a night and day difference over the cheaper built twin tubes i had put on after i took the original wore out bilsteins off.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if you were asking me since you said 4-6 shocks? but I never ran 2" lift shocks when I ran 2" blocks. All I know is how much I needed them. A long long time ago way before I lifted my truck I was in the same boat as you. I was young and ignorant. I was willing to do whatever for a 2" lift, so I cranked my bars up 90% and put a 2" block in the rear and boy did I learn my lesson.

You've got to figure that the stock Z71 shocks extended reach are basically maxed out with a 2" block/crank so not only are your angles questionable, but you have no shock travel so adding the 2" lift shocks really should help by doing atleast the front ones.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had KYB on my old 93, they were ok, but long trips on gravel roads and they would fade right quick. I just threw on some Rancho RS5000 on my 06, much better, same road, they do not give up and they were only about $80/shock, the KYBs were 65ish/shock. If you can afford it, go for the Bilsteins, they are by far the best shocks out there.