New Member - Nick's Transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, joined today (Aug 16th)...Looking forward to interacting with everyone and getting to know the community. I used to own a 98 Tahoe and may acquire a buddy's 96 Silverado. I rebuild transmissions (bench builds mostly), specialize in General Motors so am very familiar with the 700R4/TH350/400, 4L60/65/70 and 4L80/85Es.
Thank you for joining! We need help with all the tranny problems these old trucks throw at us. My 92 C2500 still has it's OG 4L60 with the TV cable control. I think I read this was the year before the e model 4L60 came out. Anywho....being my truck has a 3.73 rear, what speeds should my shifts be happening? Tires are factory-size.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for joining! We need help with all the tranny problems these old trucks throw at us. My 92 C2500 still has it's OG 4L60 with the TV cable control. I think I read this was the year before the e model 4L60 came out. Anywho....being my truck has a 3.73 rear, what speeds should my shifts be happening? Tires are factory-size.
Thank you for the welcome!

Yep, you have one of the last years of the 700R4 (re-designated 4L60 in 1990). What gear ratio did you swap from?

Shifts will be a bit higher in terms of road speed owing to better accel w/the deeper gears but time-wise will happen a little sooner compared to your previous gear sets as tire size didn't change. But the difference shouldn't be huge as there's no computerized ECM-based control for shift points which tends to get a bit confused when major mechanical changes are made to the drive train without corresponding ECM parameter updates letting the computer know what was done...

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score