New Guy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spack9

Reaction score
Just purchased a 96 Z71 5.7 Extended cab. This forum seemed like a great resource. Currently serving in the military stationed in New Jersey. I am orginally from North Carolina. Not a big fan of Jersey but making the best of it. My truck is bone stock. Putting a new fan clutch ( Mine is ceased, sounds like a jet taking off past 1500 rpm), and front diff 4WD actuator in soon. On a off note does anyone know of a tougher actuator than the cheap plastic electric one? Looking forward to meeting everyone. BTW this is my first Chevy truck. I had a f-body Camaro for two years, and a Dodge ram; two expensive ram transmissions later I now own a Chevy.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a lot of work in my 97. You can see more pics by clicking on my avatar, and then albums page, then my 97

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are 4 pages of pics in that folder

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Welcome! What's wrong with the actuator? Is it broken?There should be a metal skid plate protecting it and the diff.If there's a metal actuator I've not seen it.

Spack9

Reaction score
Welcome! What's wrong with the actuator? Is it broken?There should be a metal skid plate protecting it and the diff.If there's a metal actuator I've not seen it.

It just won't actuate. I've shot wires and its getting power and the correct commands to extend and retract. T-case it working flawlessly light just blinks after the T-case locks. Pulled it out earlier and it didn't move. Just seems kinda cheaply built. I'm debating a junkyard part. New one is 70 bucks. Junkyard has a wrecked truck with 100k and they want 15 bucks. I will probably pick up a new one. I'd hate to have it shell out when I really need it. Correct me if I'm wrong but these trucks don't have locking hubs right? The axles just turn in 2WD ?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Correct,no locking hubs.Wish I knew if your actuator is thermal or electric.Thermals are known to go bad,mine did years ago,I replaced it with another thermal(and take forever to lock in).A couple of years ago I did an electric upgrade actuator,much faster.

Last edited:

Spack9

Reaction score
I have a push buttons on the dash. I also believe it is electric. It has a three wire connector. I've seen two wires which I assume are thermal, and three wire which seem to be electrically actuated. I heard tale of GM releasing a bulletin to update many trucks to electrically actuated from thermal at some point in the late 90s which I assume was a recall type item. It would seem the 3 pin connector would be used to allow the polarity to be reversed thus retracting the actuator.