new guy - looking for info on Suburbans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david42

Reaction score
Hello all,

I don't own a GMT400 yet... basically, I'm trying to figure out whether it's the right truck for us. Specifically, we want something that can fit a 9-foot surfboard inside. (Can't do a roof rack for a bunch of reasons.) The vehicle also has to be small enough to fit in our garage. A GMT800 is too tall.

I found some dimensions online, but I don't really trust them since they're not official. Can someone tell me the length of the cargo area from the inside of the tailgate to the back of the front seat? If it's less than 9 feet, would the diagonal work?

Thanks,
David

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the rear seats folded down, you can fit several (12?) 3/4" 4'x8' sheets of dry wall in the back. The rear of barn doors angle into the truck from bottom to top so the maximum length decreases ever so slightly. So at the very bottom it is probably 98" and tappers up to 94"? Something like that.

The spare tire sits in a cavity on the driver's side rear of the cargo area. If you took that out and angled the board toward the passenger side it might fit. Anytime I have had something to long for the cargo area I would insert right down the middle between the driver and passenger bucket seats.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Full sized van might be an option.

Used by lots of surfers for a multitude of reasons.

An extended full size may fit a surfboard inside. Here's a guy who delivers boards in his van:

You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure on the overall heights of the vehicles though.

Have you considered a small trailer to mount the boards on a rack perhaps? You could chose whatever vehicle you wanted then...

david42

Reaction score
With the rear seats folded down, you can fit several (12?) 3/4" 4'x8' sheets of dry wall in the back. The rear of barn doors angle into the truck from bottom to top so the maximum length decreases ever so slightly. So at the very bottom it is probably 98" and tappers up to 94"? Something like that.

The spare tire sits in a cavity on the driver's side rear of the cargo area. If you took that out and angled the board toward the passenger side it might fit. Anytime I have had something to long for the cargo area I would insert right down the middle between the driver and passenger bucket seats.

Thanks, that's really good to know. I'll try to find one at a local dealer and bring along a tape measure.

david42

Reaction score
Full sized van might be an option.

Used by lots of surfers for a multitude of reasons.

An extended full size may fit a surfboard inside. Here's a guy who delivers boards in his van:

You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure on the overall heights of the vehicles though.

Have you considered a small trailer to mount the boards on a rack perhaps? You could chose whatever vehicle you wanted then...

Unfortunately, we have some strict space limitations: full-size vans are too tall, and we don't have anywhere to park a trailer. Even if we did have room for a trailer, a big part of the Suburban's appeal is that we could leave the surfboard secure inside overnight, even when it's parked in the city. Thanks for the thoughts, though.