New 1996 CCLB 3500 454. Help set my expectations on power or is there a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my experience when having a hard hot start issue its usually related to ignition timing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I realized that my tuner does data monitoring so I checked out some time readings as well as, 02 sensors, etc. Watch the youtube video below. So I drove it around a bit this morning and one it was hot I would feel it kind of miss or stumble while going up hills and giving it enough throttle to keep going but not downshift. You can also feel it when accelerating slowly but steadily and even just revving it up and holding it at less than 3-4k rpm where at that point it cleans up and you cant feel it. It doesnt smell rich to me really. Im going to let it cool and pull a plug or two to see how they look.

http://youtu.be/9FY-Ma6PTpo

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not real familiar with the 7.4 but it seems to be pulling too much ignition timing. Maybe someone who is more familiar with them will chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
S1 voltage is supposed to jump all over, its called an open loop. S2 is only for cat monitoring, so it has no effect on driveability, but it looks like your B2S2 is bad. Timing looks good. IAT seems pretty high.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh really? When the engine is at operating temperature would this temperature generally be a certain number? I mean I know that ambient temperature obviously makes a difference but I imagine the heat from the engine makes it more of a close range. Yesterday it was 112 as the measured temp on the freeway and ambient temp was about 75

- Bryce -

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
112 on the freeway seems a bit high for a 75 ambient temp. Mine typically is around 85-95 on a 75 degree day