New 1996 CCLB 3500 454. Help set my expectations on power or is there a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I undid the bolts on the rail but it lifted up just enough that I could slide the injectors out. It didn't look like the supply line was loose or anything but I'm new to this

- Bryce -

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So here are my questions that I have and maybe what I can do to test them.
1. What should the fuel pump pressure be if I plugged the gauge right into the line coming from the tank

2. I noticed that sometimes my voltage gauge drops a couple ticks below 14 while the truck is running. I went to actually check voltage and my multimeter died so I need to get another one. What would a voltage be that would start to decrease pump pressure below what it should push

3. I plan to look for possible pressure bleeding since I cant see any evidence of fuel leaking. Are the places I should around the parts I replaced accessible or is it ultimately easier to just pull the intake off again?

4. The little hose that connects to the FPR I have heard can crack when you pull it off, what would the symptoms be if it did crack?

5. Is it possible that the supply line pre-FPR has a minor leak that is dropping pressure or causing bleed off like was told a few posts back and that is making it hard for fuel to get back to the engine after it has been parked for a while?

Sorry for all the questions! I really want to learn and not rely on mechanics for some of this stuff. I have been pretty handy in the past but havent done much with big engines and would love to teach my sons as they grow up.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The line to the FPR should have been replaced while you were in there. Last one I worked on crumbled when I touched it. Correct vacuum signal to the FPR is pretty important.

Richard

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question but can that be accessed without taking the intake off? Its been pouring rain here all weak so I havent had any chance to do anything but I could pull it this weekend if I need to. Say that it is cracked or something, what kind of problem does that cause? I would guess it would be the same as a bad FPR but that's just a guess

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not going to say it's impossible but I'm going to bet it's extremely difficult with the intake installed. Consider where the FPR lives - right there under the end of the plenum. That's the area you're working in. You could try using a small mirror and bright light to see the area but I have my doubts.

Be sure to use line rated for vapor applications; you don't want some plain rubber hose on there like windshield washer line; the oil/fuel vapors will destroy it quickly.

Vacuum signal drops in relation to quick opening of the throttle, and under load; the FPR is vacuum referenced to up the pressure as needed...it also drops pressure when it's not needed. This is why you expect to see a spike in the pressure as you blip the throttle. Kind of a rough and simple description but that's the gist of it.

Richard

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like to do things right and check everything I need to pull the plenum off again... :( When I take it off and seal up the ports can I cycle the key on to see if I can find a leak and test pressure again or is that a problem?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
As long as your lines, etc are sealed. That's what I mentioned earlier. The line pre-regulator will have considerably more pressure, I believe the free-flow pressure is above 100PSI