Need some help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95_z71

Reaction score
So while I have my transmission out im replacing my clutch. My input shaft bushing (bushing in the crank, cant think of the name for the life of me) is seized in. I've tried everything I could think of to get this sucker out and its not budging...even had a tap on it with so much pressure it just stripped. Anyone have any idea how I can get this out without ruining my crank? Thanks

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the name you're thinking of is, input shaft bushing. heh.

there's a few ways people get them out, some folks pack the space behind the bushing with grease, then take something the same size as the bushing hold and tap on that making hydraulic pressure behind it to pop the bushing out. that has never worked for me.

the only one I've had that was very stuck like yours, is to get a dremel tool, and a carbide bit for it. then grind your way through 95% of the bushing material on two opposite ends, then tap on it carefully with a chizel to break the bushing at the cuts. that has worked for me pretty well, but you need to be VERY careful not to mar up the crank.

95_z71

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I just ended up renting a pilot bearing puller from O rileys

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right on, didn't know they had those.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they do just make sure the tool is broken or has all the tool,i did this on my buddy 88 chevy and we got everything off and tryied to get.We couldnt get so we rented the tool and the part we need was not there and the bolt were you tight it was striped,so we went and got another one and alittle pentring lube on it and the toll it finaly came off installing was easy too